1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Is vynil roll flooring really so great for a coop??????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by welsummerchicks, Aug 22, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Mine came with some sort of fiber or paper pad on the back that is impossible to remove. I would think this junk would act like a constant sponge holding dampness against the wood floor!

Is this stuff really that good? I put it on my coop floor and after checking on a damp dewy morning am considering ripping the whole thing out!

If the chicks are on a painted floor will they just eventually scratch off all the paint? I plan to have several inches of bedding on the floor......

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've had my vinyl floor for over two years. It gets swept AND mopped every week and it is wonderful... of course I'm in dry Arizona...

3. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    As long as it's glued down with seams abutted well, I would think it would be fine considering people use the same vinyl in their kitchens and bathrooms. And many people on BYC swear by the vinyl.

I personally have painted my entire coop inside and out. The inside is all gloss and semi-gloss paint for easier clean-up with 3 coats from the roost height, downward. So far so good, all the poop washes off and the pain is intact. I'll probably have to repaint the roost next year, but everything else is holding up quite nicely. Good luck.

4. puredelite

puredelite Songster

Was wondering the same thing myself as I am considering installing it on the floor of my new chicken condo. Would it just trap moisture underneath and cause rot on my sub-floor? Anyone out there have any long-term experience with using this? I am not in a desert envirionment at all. Roll vinyl flooring can be bought at Lowe's for $.45 a foot in 12' widths which is avery good price for the intended use.[​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    rubber mats all the way for me!

As for the flooring itself, I wished I had deck wood material "wrapped" in hardware wire instead of the usual plywood and 2 x 4 wood joists for my coop. Rats got under it and chewed the plywood but the rubber mat held up pretty well with the shovel abuse. Even with that much shavings, it still would cake to the floor if it does get wet like near the door or windows where the rain can get inside. With the rubber mat, its a snap to clean up as well and durable too.

6. damselfish

damselfish Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    We have plain plywood, with shavings. It works great (once we learned that we needed to have a drip pan under the waterers). To me it seems like the more layers of floor, the more potential for problems such as dirt and bugs hiding in nooks and crannies that I can't get to. But everybody's got their own way! Good luck with your coop.

7. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chirping

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    The fiber back you refer to is "cast" into the floor as it is made to give the adhesive something to bond to. As you know things don't stick well to vinyl itself. I would not use vinyl floor without adhesive unless it is a seamless floor, you staple the edges and then caulk the edge joint. The issue in chicken coops is the expansion and contraction in the usually plywood subfloor. The staples and adhesive usually solve the issue.

8. Sadie57

Sadie57 Chirping

Nov 25, 2009
    Southern TN.
    We had leftover vinyl that fit perfectly so we used it. Our coop is built in corner of barn on top of wooden pallets so its off the damp concrete. Plywood on top of pallets and then the vinyl and shavings. Cleans easily. So glad that we put roof over outside run. No mud or snow.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  9. MissJenny

MissJenny Songster

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If the vinyl is installed correctly moisture should not get under it. Mine is glued down -- works great.

Jenny

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I love my vinyl floor. I used the 1'sq peel-and-stick tiles, many of which started peeling up for about the first week or so, but not after a month. They are firmly bonded now. My floor is elevated which helps me easily push all the litter into a wheel barrow; the litter slides so easily across the floor. Of course my floor is elevated, and like Mahonri, I live in bone-dry AZ. I just wish I had gotten my hands on a larger remnant square on lineoleum when I first installed it, but I was just too antsy to have it finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by