1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is water in a copper pan ok for them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rosegal, Jan 10, 2009.

1. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    With all this talk about waterers and putting ACV in the water....would copper leach bad stuff into the water?
    [​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Copper bowls often have an aluminum or stainless steel lining. If yours doesn't, it's probably not meant for long-term liquid use. It will corrode and tarnish.

I'd just go with a standard waterer.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Well, I think copper is real good otherwise plmber will not use it to provide water in houses;)

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    How obvious is that? Copper pans are used in the finest restaraunts. I have used a copper stock pot for years, best cookware I have cant afford to buy as much as I wish.

Copper liners from old washing machines have been used as water tanks on farms for years. that is until the antique folks snatched them up. the lead solder is quite another matter

5. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Well, I am not sure that it is the best quality, it was made for outside use. And it does seem to have lots of crud in it, but the girls love to use it. I'll just keep letting them use it, and see how long it holds up. It was in the front yard to entice frogs, it didn't help.
    Thanks

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Copper also has natural antimicrobial properties, they have done studies with salmonella. They placied it on stainless steel, porcelain, and copper sinks. The bacteria grew on the stainless and porcelain, but was completely dead in a couple of hours on the copper. Copper based meds are also used to treat some infections of fish. Just another benefit to think about. If it was not so $$$, I would not hesitate to use it.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on the acidity of your water. Ours is fairly acidic because our well is drilled through slate. The original copper in our home is corroding and we are replacing with pex. So if you have acidic water avoid copper, and if your are neutral or slightly alkaline it should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by