Is well water o.k for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by treecow, Jun 22, 2010.

1. treecow

treecow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2009
    I've heard that well water contains nasty chemicals from previous farming in the area and am not sure if I should be giving the chickens well water because eventually we eat their eggs. I'm not sure if this is still harmful to humans. A few blocks away the water contained a harmful pesticide and gave 10 out of 40 houses cancer. Any suggestions?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Have your water tested to be sure. We have well water and it is just fine. Good luck!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Have your well water tested. Here, our county water agency provides vials and does water analysis. It looks for natural occuring minerals in your water as well as toxic items) Our water is high in calcium, which makes a pain for cleaning, but it's great for your teeth. We all drink our well water (humans and chickens).

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Well water is all we drink. We have the best tasting water around! It is high in minerals which is not a bad thing. You should have your well tested for contaminants if you are concerned. Underground water tables can stretch for long distances from where your well is located.

5. Corporate Farmer

Corporate Farmer New Egg

May 4, 2010
    Plymouth, MN
    Quote:I echo the comments made by others. Do get your well tested. If you find the same "harmful pesticide" that "gave 10 out of 40 houses cancer," you'll need to identify the source and hire yourself a lawyer.

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Shallow ground water or deepwater well?

7. Debob

Debob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Test your well, then you can make a descion. Entill it's tested don't take chances.

8. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this the same water that you are drinking? If it is safe for you, it will be safe for the birds!

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    We have well water and it's delicious. It's been tested and gets good marks. We've had friends from the city come and fill jugs to take home. I love ice cold water from the ground.

10. myblackf150

myblackf150 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    Evington, VA
    We have been using well water for several years and all my chicks still come running when they hear the fill valve turn on!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by