Is what I'm feeding my chickens causing "fishy" taste in eggs due to Omega 3 fatty acid or Trimethylamine?

Mar 17, 2023
Hello! I'm very new to chicken keeping and I am not a scientist so I'm sorry if any of my following questions seem to have obvious answers! I had a few of my brown eggs last week smell a little fishy so I did some googling. Two different kinds of results popped up.
Result #1 said that the cause of fishy eggs is a mix of: a. Feeding hens feed high in Omega 3 fatty acids and b. Some brown egg layers being genetically unable to produce enough of a deodorizing enzime to deodorize the omega 3 fatty acids in their food. This causes some chickens to deposited un-deodorized Omega 3s into the egg yolks. Articles I read about fishy omega 3s said this problem can be caused by too much flax meal, leafy greens, or fishmeal in the chickens diet.
Result #2 said that the fishy smell is caused by "the accumulation of trimethylamine (TMA) in the yolk and that trimethylamine is produced by the bacterial fermentation of choline in the lower gut" of a chicken. The articles I read on trimethylamine say that "most hens metabolize the TMA into another (odorless) compound, but brown egg layers don't do that as efficiently." Excess trimethylamine can be caused by too much canola meal or rape seed meal in feed.

Omega 3s are good for you...so if that is the cause of an occasionally fishy egg then I'm not too worried about it. However, from what I've read online, trimethylamine is not good for you...so if this was the cause I would be more concerned. Are fishy eggs caused by Omega 3s and fishy eggs caused by excess trimethylamine two completely different issues that happen to exhibit the same symptom of fishy eggs? Or do people misdiagnose a trimethylamine issue as "my eggs just must be high in Omega 3s." How can I tell which issue is the real culprit for my fishy eggs?

Additional Context: I gave my chickens cabbage (which is high in omega 3s) last week, so can I assume one of my hens has less of the deodorizing enzime and produced a few fishy eggs because of the cabbage? There isn't canola meal in their feed.

I would appreciate any resources or info that would help me differentiate between Omega 3s causing fishy eggs or trimethylamine causing fishy eggs because I don't know how to tell the difference and am a bit confused! Like I said, I wouldn't be concerned over extra omega 3s but I would be concerned over extra trimethylamine.

Articles about trimethylamine being the cause
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/192... is caused,containing monooxygenase 3 (FMO3 c.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/blogs/faqs/why-do-the-eggs-from-one-of-our-hens-always-smell-fishy

Article about Omega 3s being the cause
https://starmilling.com/eggs-tasting-a-little-fishy/

My Rhode Island brown egg laying chickens have the same "issue"... I feed them 1/4 feed from store (consisting of corn, soy and typical stuff) and the rest is cooked brown rice, flour, and veggie/seafood scraps.
All their eggs always taste like this for the past year... I'm hoping it is the omegas. Will need to check with the feedstore if it is canola based.

The organic brown eggs I buy from Costco don't have this taste. It could be because of the breed they mass produce, I'm sure the growers at Costco have dialed that in quite well... or they may not feed them canola and typical seed oil foods that industry feeds them (doubtful).

Back
Top Bottom