Is what my chicks doing bad?

CityKidChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2016
I have three baby silkies, one is about 5 weeks and the other two are three weeks. They are kicking the bedding around the brooder and eating it. Is this bad for them? I noticed they havent been eating as much food. any suggestions?

Are they eating the bedding or bits of food that they have scattered?

If your weather is dry and sunny then they can be taken out to a play space so they can forage some. I fence little places in so any chicks brooded indoors can get some outdoor time early on.
If it is wet and cloudy you can bring the outdoors to them. Take some grass dirt and all to put in the brooder. They will find things they need in it.

Are they eating the bedding or bits of food that they have scattered?

If your weather is dry and sunny then they can be taken out to a play space so they can forage some. I fence little places in so any chicks brooded indoors can get some outdoor time early on.
If it is wet and cloudy you can bring the outdoors to them. Take some grass dirt and all to put in the brooder. They will find things they need in it.

I agree, they are probably eating food scattered in the bedding, that's why they are scratching around And kicking it out.

They can also be outdoors at this age or bring some grass & dirt to them as 21hens-in charge suggested.

Chicks do eat bedding from time to time. That is why it is important to give them chick grit early on even though you are only giving them chick starter. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom