Is white or black dominant in silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by magicpigeon, Jan 2, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    For example, if I bred a white to a black, which would be the dominant gene? Does anybody have a list I can use? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Black isn't dominant or recessive, as a solid color it is just a "base," like duckwing, partridge, wheaten, brown-red/birchen, etc. Now, white on the other hand can both be dominant or recessive. I believe in Silkies it can be either though, but I'm not 100% sure. I know in some breeds like rocks it is always dominant, others like Ameraucanas it can vary, but Silkies. . . Someone else may know that.

But, as a rule - If you bred a black to a dominant white silkie, you get white silkies. If you bred black to a recessive white silkie - You get black silkies. In fact, you'll get black with whatever the recessive white may have been hiding, too. (barring, gold leakage, etc)

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:White Rocks and most White breeds are usually always RECESSIVE White, not Dominant, White Rocks were originally Recessive White sports out of Barred Rocks so they were White masking barring.

And White is also usually always recessive in silkies as well, thats why you can really never predict what you will get from crossing with White Silkies.

Cornish Cross birds, Most White Leghorns, Rhode Island Whites, and some of the White Gamefowl are really the only solid White breeds that are Dominant White.

4. PremierSilkies

PremierSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    I think it depends on the flock & genetics of the individual birds in that flock.
    Personal experience for myself:
    In 2010 I bred two of my white silkie cocks on the black silkie hens, 50% white, 25% part, 25% black.
    The partridge turned out GORGOUS, lol

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:In that case then your Black hens would have been carrying one copy of Recessive White and I imagine your Whites may have been masking Partridge. Thats what you would get though breeding a White to a Split White, 50% White and 50% colored.

But yes it does depend on the genetic history of the recessive White Birds.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Um, this will sound really stupid, but can you tell if they have dominant or recessive genes without waiting for them to breed and their chicks feathering up? I didn't think so but with chickens, anything's possible [​IMG]

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:No you can't. You'll have to breed them and see what you get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by