Is whole corn good for your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JesusE98, Feb 22, 2016.

1. JesusE98

JesusE98 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    I feed my chickens whole corn but im wondering if the whole corn is giving them the nutrients they need.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Welcome to BYC.
    You are right to wonder that. Corn is no more a complete food for them then it would be for you. It lacks enough protein and many of the nutrients that is need for a good diet.

1 person likes this.
  3. eimearodowd

eimearodowd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2016
    Whole corn is certainly better than cracked corn, as it has the oils and nutrients that cracked corn lacks. However, you don't want it to be the staple of your chicken's diet. You should offer them a pellet or crumble feed as the base, with grit always included.

barred2rock likes this.
  4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Whole corn is part of an appropriate diet for chickens but the amount of vitamins and other nutrients in shelled corn is below a chicken's recommended daily needs.

Shelled corn (whole corn) is a good way to pass out a treat that hens love. If it is available get Argentine Flint Corn or some type of shelled sweet or pop corn. If these varieties are not available where you are, plain old "yellar" feed corn or dent corn will do. Sitting in a folding chair or even on an overturned feed bucket and passing out a pint or two of shelled corn every day, a kernel at a time is the easiest way that I know of to become best buddies with your biddies. A good grade of corn is light on dust, short on broken kernels and it looks and feels slightly slick or oily and shiny when you rub it between your thumb and forefinger. Chicks only a few days old will eat whole corn but it may require several attempts for the bird to turn the kernel in its little beak so that it can get it to go down. It will not hurt a bird.

Oh. BTW. Welcome to the BYC Flock, you hear?

One more thing, seed corn is treated to kill mold and weevils so never never never feed seed corn to any live stock because at best you'll end up with dead stock.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. JesusE98

JesusE98 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Dallas, TX

6. Cubzwin1908

Cubzwin1908 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    I add whole corn to a mixture of grains that I ferment for three days....whirl it all up in the food processor and the gang loves it. Best part is the probiotic action has cleared up a nagging dirty bottom on one old girl. She has the fluffy clean butt of her youth back.

1 person likes this.
  7. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    I also give whole corn to my flock (chickens and turkeys). I let the corn soak in a bucket for a few days. When it is time to feed them, I mixed the corn with other grains and chicken feed.

8. nissalovescats

nissalovescats Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2016
    Daggett, Upper Michigan
    I found a 'recipe' for chicken feed online, it was whole corn, whole oats, wheat, and sunflower seeds. I fed that to my hens last year and they did well on it. I sometimes cooked a few cups of the mixed grain in a slow cooker for them, and they really loved that.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I feed whole corn daily, but I also feed a good all flock ration too.

10. bigt447

bigt447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Corn does not change its make-up when simply cracked....it's still 100% corn. Check it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by