IS WINDOW STARTING 7" BELOW ROOST OKAY?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fawn and Fam, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    We are building our coop and live in Michigan. We are placing one roost in front of a south window so they can sunbathe in colder months. I read it is supposed to be on their upper body however the window we have w/in the space we have is going to land it starting 7" below the roost up to 25" above their roost. Is that a problem for any reason (for ex: too cold)? If it is we could purchase a different window and use this window in another place. If not, I would like to use this window to bring more light into the coop. Any advice?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Is it glass or open for ventilation?
    How many birds and how much ventilation?

3. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    It is a 70's storm window (glass) from off our home when we had new windows put in. It will be shut because we have 1 sq.ft. per bird of ventilation up high. We may open the window in the summer for a cool breeze.

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Windows 7 is better than Windows 8

Sorry wrong thread lol

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Oz - such a card.

I don't see a problem with the window other than being on the south it will heat the coop up in the summer.

I like windows on the east to capture the morning sun. On the south doesn't do much since chickens are usually outside midday.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Seriously now

Any position that the birds can stand in front of the window would be OK.

Any real warming of the coop will require a much more concerted effort.

http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/passive-solar-energy/

Passive Solar Heating: Passive solar heating happens when sunlight strikes an object and that object absorbs the heat. It can occur in a building effectively if windows are oriented correctly. The most powerful window orientation is south but any orientation within 30 degrees of due south is adequate. Once the heat is inside the building various techniques can be adopted to keep and spread it. For passive solar heating approximately eight percent window to floor area is required for south walls. Once the heat is trapped inside a building and that structure is air tight, heat loss can be avoided effectively. Double-glazed windows are not very effective in trapping the heat. We should install high performance windows, with insulated frames, multiple glazing, low-e coatings, insulating glass spacers and inert gas fills. All these elements can reduce heat loss by 50 to 75 per cent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by