Is winter over yet and everything else driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Jan 12, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am losing my mind. I swear. We are so confined right now there is just no room to do anything and we can no longer ease that by spending time outside. I keep looking at houses so we can move out of my parents house on the farm. The house in town is not selling fast enough and even if it sold right now we could not start building. I am so desperate I am ready to scrap building and just buy. The hill is so steep to the farm too that my van cannot get up the hill. Spring hits and the van is history. Spring hits and the kids are getting a playhouse too. I need some space. I doesn't help that I am locked in with all the kids every day since we homeschool or that we know nobody out here. Its 45 min to the friends we know. What was I thinking in making this move. Self sufficiency would be great but if I am insane it may all be for nothing.

Ok disclosure time I have not slept great in almost a month and winter weather always depresses me so things may not be as bad as they are seeming to me. I tell myself and then call myself a liar. lol I am laughing about all this just to keep my head on straight. I just really want it to be spring. I love spring. I love fall. I am not fond of seasons where everything is dead or dying. Dollar General had seeds even. yes I got desperate and bought a couple packets of sunflowers and such. I'll probably pull out the catalogs and get my garden list completed and ordered.

I might even get desperate enough to take the kiddies to the mall to play. Not the greatest option but its really too cold out to do much playing.

I'm not venting my frustrations now. So what is everyone else struggling through this winter.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Winter weather.[​IMG] Study the seed catalogs and hatchery catalogs. Even take the kids to the mall although that would be torture to me. When I was still working I had real problems with seasonal affective disorder. Going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark and working in an enclosed environment played havoc with my already fragile sanity. You need a break from the hassles you are dealing with. Try a movie for the kids at the mall. This too shall pass.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

See if Dollar General or somebody else has spring bulbs in stock. You can "force" them indoors, and get early daffodils, tulips, or hyacinths. At least you'll be able to watch something that's alive! [​IMG]

How old are your kids? I know it's cold, but just bundle them up and throw them outside for a while. It'll do you and them good. A little cold air never hurt any one. Unless they have asthma, or some other breathing disorder, of course.

4. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    No problems like that. We are confined with my parents if we want to stay at the farm. We still have the house in town but you really cannot live with 4 kids in a house that they want to stay showing ready. My mom is not a fan of messes. It about sends her into twitches if I let them play and get dirty. Snowy kids coming indoors after play could send her over the edge. I think I will drag them out though. Even a 45 min drive to friends would be welcome today.

I am staring longingly at the seeds i bought today. The hubby asked if I wanted an indoor plant or two. I might need that. I just want to be outside again and right now its just too dang cold. I go out for an hour and spend the next 6 trying to warm up.

5. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    How cold is it in Kentucky? Our kids play outside all winter (unless the windchill is dangerous) and it is well below freezing most of the time (high today was 10). How old are the kids? When dd was very young I did take her to the mall play area in bad weather, kept her from getting stir crazy and gave me something to do (people watch)

6. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    We feel your pain. Powell Co schools have been out FOREVER, with no end in sight. Sounds like you are between rock and hard place with the house situation. Is there a nearby sledding hill where you can take the kids? Sit in the van and watch or read a book? Bring a duffel with clean, dry clothes, so they can change in the car. Stuff the snow clothes in a garbage bag and take straight to laundry room.

Is there any way you can get a break? It really sounds like you need one. Sometimes local churches have a "mommy's day out" program. Or step outside by yourself and take a walk. They say we are supposed to see the sun Saturday.

I know one thing, kids and tidy house types are a rough mix.

7. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have a mix. If the older ones are out the 2 year old will pitch an unholy fit to go out also. My 8 year old is also the coldest child ever without an ounce of body fat so she can last for maybe 10 min before turning a bit blue. I tried to escape today. Slid sideways down our hill and almost flipped the van.I will probably wait till some ice melts next time. lol

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    We live on top of Furnace Mountain on the Powell/Estill line. Some weeks it seems like we get as much lake effect snow as Chicago! I couldn't survive winter here without my snow chains. A real sanity saver.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by