Is Wry Tail Genetic? **Pics Added**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My newest Muscovy Duckling(Secret) hatched with a very slight Wry Tail. The parents don't have it but my Mother is planning to keep "her" with her other duckling, Whisper, as pets so if they do end up being a pair I am worried she may produce ducklings with the "deformity". Is it Hereditary/Genetic?

Really it's kind of cute, right now anyway. I've never seen many Muscovy with it before but thankfully it's very slight and just goes to the left a teeny bit. Could she possibly grow out of it? or is there any vitamins I can give her to try to correct it?

Thanks everyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

anyone?

3. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    yes wry tail is genetic.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It is genetic- but can be caused by other reasons too. Weakness in the vertebra causing the tail to bend can also be as a result of injury- and also a sign that the whole back bone is crooked. With it showing up so young- it could also be due to the positioning in the egg just prior to hatching. As she grows it may become more or less noticeable- depending on the cause.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

But he/she could pass it on to future offspring, right?

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I didn't really see how old the duckling is. I never worry when they are just born, because the position in the egg can cause all kind of strange looking things. Things like curled up feet or necks hanging to the side are quite common. I simply but them onto vitamin water and wait 3 days. By then it is usually all gone. After that it is most likely some other issue, like genetic or something gone bad during incubation. So it can be genetic, but it does not have to be. I wish you had a picture to show. It may not be as bad as it sounds at all.

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:If Secret has the issue due to incubation- injury etc- it would be extremely unlikely for it to be passed on. But without knowing for sure what the cause is really is hard to say. Even if it is something genetic- it doesnt mean ALL offspring would have the bent tail as well.

I have a little duck at the moment who is four weeks old. She hatched with her tail slightly bent- she was the wrong way in the egg- and I was surprised she made it out at all due to her positioning. She was two days late and I did not assist her hatch at all. Now she has her tail feathers grown in its hardly noticeable at all. Being that I have hatched so many from the same parent with no similar cases- and the fact that she was the wrong way in the egg- I am fairly confident my young girl will not pass on the condition.

I hope it the same for you with Secret- but since Muscovies do have that rather long tail- it may show up more.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

She was upside down in the egg & I did have to help her out but after I popped off the top she nearly flew right out, lol. So maybe it is just from the way she was in there. It's really not bad at all but I will try to get a picture later today so you guys can see what I am talking about. [​IMG]

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Certainly sounds most likely that was the cause if you have never hatched another with the same condition. It would be good to see a photo- and in the mean time- I will try to get a pic of my girl to show you how good her tail looks now.

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Okay, I finally got some pictures! It was so funny, I cleaned the brooder out and got them all situated with their new clean stuffy(aka dog toy, lol) and as soon as Secret thought I was gonna leave she ran over to the stuffy and started trying to jump out [​IMG] I had to let her out to run around for a minute and she was good and let me get some good pics. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Most of the time it doesn't look bad at all but sometimes it goes to the side quite a bit, i'm not sure why though. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by