Is wt loss normal?? Please answer... this is a repost. thanks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by renewistrombaker, Aug 10, 2010.

1. renewistrombaker

renewistrombaker Chirping

Jun 30, 2009
    Los Gatos (bay Area)
    Chicks are 2 weeks old. She is a good mom. Access to fresh water , crumbles and fresh fruit and veggies and bugs.

She is much thinner and comb is pink not red. Acts ok, just want to know if I should be worried.

Is this normal?

Thanks !

Rene'

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm don't know the answer, so I'm giving you a bump. [​IMG]

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Have you treated her lately for parasites... both internal and external? If she is weakened by sitting, hatching and raising babies and she has parasites also, this might explain the weight lose and paleness.

4. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chirping

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Are you saying she's losing weight since getting off the nest with the chicks???? Does she seem to be eating??? If your hen is eating and drinking then she will be fine. That would be the cue for me.

I have a broody that hatched her brood last week (from Tuesday - Friday). She was up by Saturday (off the nest) and eating heartily with the chicks. And I noticed this morning that her comb is much redder than it was while she was setting.

I hope someone else can help you.

5. renewistrombaker

renewistrombaker Chirping

Jun 30, 2009
    Los Gatos (bay Area)
    Thanks so much for replying [​IMG]

Yes shes eating. I think she lost a bit while sitting on the eggs. She was broody for weeks before I figured it out (duh) and then we got her some fertile eggs. SHe is just not as meaty in the chest. She always offers food for her babies first. Ive been letting her out to free range now with the babies while the other 3 hens are in the coop. That should help with all the grass to munch and bugs to dig up. What a pain it is to herd those babies back in !!! LOL

I bought some suet and I will put that up- lots a fat.

I guess it wouldnt hurt to treat her for parasites... tho the rest of the flock is healthy. I do use DE in the nest boxes and the spot where she sleeps with babies and there is a dusting in the crumbles.

Ok- well, give it some time I guess

Thanks again
    Rene'

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Quote:Yes... she stated in the subject line that she was reposting because no one answered and we aren't supposed to *bump*... I looked at the other posting and she was right, no one answered... and she is also pretty new to the forum...

BTW Rene... [​IMG]

@ greenfamilyfarms... any thoughts on her problem?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I closed the first topic since there weren't any replies and redirected to this thread.

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Quote:Thanks The Chicken Lady! [​IMG]

10. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chirping

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Sounds like you're OK then. Because they eat and drink so little while they're broody (and it's worse if they're there for a lot longer than the 21 days it takes to hatch eggs) then it stands to reason they would lose weight while broody. Mine also got a very pale comb which brightened immediately once she was off the nest and eating regularly again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by