Is Wysteria poisoness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pyncheon guy, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    Does anyone know if Wysteria is toxic to poultry and/or sheep? I was thinking of transplanting some of mine to the poultry fences...but didn't know if it would harm the livestock if ingested...(?) Thanks, Rusty

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We have it on our property and I've never had any problems with it. Don't know if it's poison, but the chickens scratch around under it constantly.

By the way... Who has Pyncheons for sale? The breeder I was planing on getting some from sold their flock.

3. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    Thanks......I may just try and move some to the poultry fences.... As far as purchasing some Pyncheons....I may have some...or at least some eggs in the Spring to sell....I know Welp's hatchery lists them and so does Privett hatchery....I question the quality....leg color is usually never correct on the "hatchery" bloodlines.... If you want some unique little Bantams and don't care to show them...then leg color would not be an issue. I breed for Willow legs....[​IMG]

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Yeah, I think I ordered some from a hatchery a few years ago after I saw a picture of a pair in an old book. I forget the name they used, but after reading up on them I remember they had mentioned Nathanial Hawthorn had raised them. The ones I got were terrible. Almost no spangling, looked more like a cross between a polish and a millie fluer. The crest was large but looked like a polish type. Mixed breed in my opinion and I culled them all. Not at all like the pictures. [​IMG]
    I've been able to find out very little about them, and although I have never shown (Never even been to a show), I still like to have nice birds if I'm gonna breed and take up coop space. Plus I'm a sucker for spangled and speckled chickens.
    Keep me in mind if you have eggs in the spring or hear of anyone who has chicks or grown stock near enough for me to pick up.
    The pictures of yours look beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by