Is Your Feed Being Stolen?

thaiturkey

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Thailand
Our turkeys range during the day. The coop doors remain open for them and we keep the feed and water inside. Now, I don't mind the small birds dropping in for a free feed but we get pigeons too. Apart from the big crops that they fill at our expense, they may carry disease.

Does anyone else suffer from this nuisance and have you found a humane way to keep the unwanted freeloaders away, please?

I had wild bird problems too. I put up curtains made of shade cloth cut into strips to cover the door to the coop and that fixed my problem with doves but not sparrows. I made a treadle feeder and that is already working to reduce numbers of sparrows and other wild birds even as the chickens are learning to use it. You can see a complete description of the door curtain and its implementation on my BYC page and plans for the treadle feeder can be found there too. Good luck.

56638_doorcurtain.jpg
56638_treadlev20closed.jpg

Quote:
I looked at your page. A brilliant piece of engineering! The fabric strip doorway and training programme should do the trick for me.

Thank you for that.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom