Is your goose a sneak thief?

BullCreek

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Pacific NW
Does anyone else have a goose that's a thief? My fav girl, Afro aka Pretty Girl, is a sneak thief ("Afro", because she had a wicked funny baby fluff afro... her head was the last thing to feather out). I often go out in the goose yard to hang out with the geese, usually taking a book and kicking it on the lawn on my belly. Afro's favorite place to sit/stand is in the middle of my back, and she guards her spot against the other geese. Well, one day as she was standing on my butt and nibbling on my jeans, she spied the end of a zip tie sticking out of my side pocket. She grabbed it, launched herself off of me, and proceeded to take a victory lap around the yard, flapping her wings and squealing with a zip tie in her mouth. Now, every time I go out there, she climbs up on my back and checks my pockets. If there's anything in them she steals it. She will sometimes manage to get her entire head in my pocket. I've learned to empty any and all pockets before going out there, let me tell you.

Is this level of craftiness normal, or am I raising a klepto?

Additional note... She will also steal things like gloves, my book if I'm not watching, and has tried to drag off the hose...
smile.png

very adorable i havnt had this experience yet but then again this my 2nd try raising geese my first two ever were two white embeden and one of them died around the winter time i suppose bad cold. my 2nd try are now 1 month old baby african and white chinese.

Ours is a little sneak thief too! Every time I give the pig lettuce, she sneaks over and steals it from the side of his mouth as he's chewing.
bun.gif

They do seem to love sticking their heads in tight spaces. Mine will spend a looong time checking out the broom, searching between the bristles.

And he'll try to go through the pant pockets of his favorite human friend. He's not quite tall enough to stick his head in, but he has managed to rip the pockets several times. Well, his friend keeps the goose treats in those pockets, so I guess you can't blame the goose.
roll.png
I always have to warn strangers not to put their hands in their pockets, if they don't want the goose to close in and "attack".

Quote:
lol.png
Stealing food from the pig!? That is hilarious! I take it he's a pet pig? Ours are food pigs, but we do have a goat that will jump the fence and try to head-butt the pigs out of the way to get to the hog chow.
smile.png

Oh, and my klepto-goose stole my keys last night, and I didn't even notice until I heard the jingle jingle across the yard. Stupid goose. Gotta love her.

My one girl Guinness is the boldest and bravest. She's been stealing my gloves since they were bigger than she was.
roll.png
I don't mind too much, except when she's heading for the pond!

Back
Top Bottom