ISA Brown/EE and Leghorn/EE eggs - PICS OF CHICKS ADDED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eggcellent, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I picked up a dozen eggs from a farmer a few weeks back just to test an incubator with more than anything. He had leghorn and ISA brown hens and a EE rooster. He only had one rooster for 35+ hens so I figured chances weren't good on high fertility rates.

Of the dozen eggs, 7 were brown, 3 were white and 2 were green/blue. Not real sure how green or blue eggs were laid by only ISA browns and leghorns so I am guessing there were some EEer crosses there already. Although every hen I saw looked like a prototypical ISA brown or leghorn. It seems the rooster preferred ISA browns the most (or maybe he could just catch them easier)

All 7 brown eggs were fertile

Only 1 white egg was fertile

Only 1 green/blue egg was fertile

Now that my little test was more successful than I had imagined... What can I expect these 9 chicks to be like? Just wondering on appearance, temperament and egg colors more than anything. I guess I can't be too picky considering he was selling the eggs for $1 a dozen. (I did give him more than that just to help support a fellow chicken farmer)

It's kind of fun having these mixed eggs in the bator.... Kind of like Christmas!

I will post some photos of the chicks once they hatch so you all can see what they look like.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I don't know but make sure you post pictures!

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    What colour was the roo? the hens?

4. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I hatched an EE/RIR, EE/EE, and an EE/Isa brown. The Rooster was an EE. The Isa hatched out yellow, but sadly didn't survive long after hatch. The EE/RIR hatched out a white like color. She has her feathers now, and is mostly white ( she has some black here and there). The EE/EE hatched out grey, and her feathers have turned out a wheaten color ( I think that's what you call it), and some black mixed in. They are very pretty girls.

Bluemoon

5. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Quote:The hens were ISA Browns so they were brown with some white feathers or white leghorns, so they were all white. The rooster was really colorful, almost like a brown leghorn but had legs that were more blue than green.

6. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I have 5/9 pipped this morning. Should only be a little while before I can post pictures.

7. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Well I have 3 new chicks so far, with 4 more pipped. Two of them are pretty much all yellow, the other one is yellow with a black back. I will take some photos of them in a few. Their legs are pinkish right now. One of them has a definite pea comb. Do easter eggers start out with pink legs before they turn green?

8. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    [​IMG]

Here are the three that have hatched so far. The middle one has a pea comb and I can see a hint of green on their legs with the LED light.

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Oh too cute!

10. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh they are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by