Isa Brown Gender

babybaits

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
My son bought 6 leghorns, 6 Rhode Island Reds, and 6 Isa Browns 2 months ago. Only the Isa's were not sexed, but from what I'm reading, if at the time they're hatched they're brown, that means they're hens. If they're white, they're roosters. He got them about a week old and they were all yellow. What would that make them? Very soon after getting them, they all turned white and by now, they're showing a hint of turning brown.

The one on the right.

Attachments

• 20230412_170328.jpg
    20230412_170328.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 22
Sorry to say you likely have all ISA Brown cockerels- especially if they were all yellow puffs when you got them. I personally don't have any experience with temperament of ISA Brown roosters, but as an overall variety they're bred to be quite calm. Hopefully this isn't horrible news for you and your son...

Sorry to say you likely have all ISA Brown cockerels- especially if they were all yellow puffs when you got them. I personally don't have any experience with temperament of ISA Brown roosters, but as an overall variety they're bred to be quite calm. Hopefully this isn't horrible news for you and your son...
He has hens but to get 6 roosters isn't the greatest news. I don't understand how these weren't sexed if they're supposed to be able to tell once they're hatched. He has a leghorn rooster and he goes after people once they turn their backs. I call him Lucifer lol.

He has hens but to get 6 roosters isn't the greatest news. I don't understand how these weren't sexed if they're supposed to be able to tell once they're hatched. He has a leghorn rooster and he goes after people once they turn their backs. I call him Lucifer lol.
HA!!! I haven't had a roo to deal with in years, and don't miss that bit at all... Maybe grow one of these boys out and see if he lives up to the calm reputation?! With dominant red and white hens, you may not get much diversity with chick color, but at least you'll still get great egg production.

This is only the second summer my son is dealing with chickens and he got lucky and only landed up with 1 rooster last summer. With all of these roosters, what could he do with them? Who can he give or sell them to? He's hoping that these are nicer ones, keep one and get rid of the rest, including Lucifer.

Back
Top Bottom