ISA Brown Hen Acting Sick, Quiet, and Losing Weight

Bagel17

Chirping
Aug 10, 2022
My 3-year-old ISA brown hen, Sandy, has not been acting herself in the past months. She is quiet, even more so than normally and even while around the other chickens. She is slow to move with the flock as they rotate around the yard, freeranging.
She ruffles her feathers, sits in one spot, and keeps her tail down. She started keeping her tail down within the past week. She roosts at night with the other chickens. I know I've seen her eat, I don't know about drinking. Noticeably lightweight and skinny/bony when you pick her up. She's been losing weight since the beginning of this month. Her feathers and feet look healthy, so does her face. Her vent isn't prolapsed but I haven't been able to get a thorough look. I haven't seen her poop, but that doesn't mean she isn't pooping.

I thought the problem had to do with pepper mites/fowl mites that we've been living with for the past years, trying to combat them they've never fully gone away. I was particularly concerned about my ISA brown hen because she is the smallest in the flock and has not been very healthy lately, noticeably thin and losing weight (so more susceptible to the mites). I know ISA browns can have egg-related problems, like egg-binding, but how would I know if this were the case? I tried to feel around back there and didn't find any lumps. I just gave her a bath to kill what mites were on her (not a major infestation, just some, so I don't think this was the problem), and her vent looks okay from what I can see (no prolapse).

I need a second opinion. She is clearly not feeling well and is losing weight. She isn't as social and talkative as she usually is, and really only wants to be by me. I do not think she is at the end of her life, being only 3 years old, and I don't think mites are the issue because I thoroughly looked her over when I gave her a bath two days ago.

This has been going on for a few months because I thought that because she is a little chicken she was just cold from the below-zero temps we got here with our long winter, but now it's a lot warmer and we haven't been getting cold temps.

I think it is something internal, but don't know if chickens really get internal parasites, or how to check for egg-binding. All my other chickens are fine. Also wondering if this behavior is from grief, we lost our only rooster of 6 years recently so she might be depressed.

Thoughts, anyone, as to what this could be? How do I check for egg-binding? Could she still be grieving from months ago?

When was the last time you wormed her and your flock? Did you do a fecal float before choosing medication? Which meds did you use and how did you administer them?

Some birds do die around 3 years old. A lot of them do, I have heard that this is more true in hatchery birds, but really, a lot of 3-4 year old birds are very old birds. I know a lot of people have them live much longer, and maybe it is my climate - but I think the end is near.

Mrs K

She's very likely not mourning. What's her diet? What have you been using for the mites?
They're usually fed Nature Wise layer feed, I had them on something different for awhile (about a month) because I couldn't go all the way to Fleet Farm, where I get the Nature Wise. The other stuff was from my local country store that was higher in protein, I don't remember what it was called. They free-range most of the time, so I don't provide poultry grit for them. They end up eating a lot of eggs because they lay a lot and we never are able to consume them all before they go bad. They get occasional old-fashioned rolled oats for a treat. I will give them a separate dish of oyster shell only every once in a while because they finish those little bags so quickly (probably a sign that I should try to find it in bulk).
I haven't treated them for mites in a long time. I never have used anything that has a danger/toxic level, and haven't been putting anything on the birds. I didn't see many mites on her when I gave her a bath, though.

When was the last time you wormed her and your flock? Did you do a fecal float before choosing medication? Which meds did you use and how did you administer them?
I've never given the chickens any medication/done fecal float tests.

Some birds do die around 3 years old. A lot of them do, I have heard that this is more true in hatchery birds, but really, a lot of 3-4 year old birds are very old birds. I know a lot of people have them live much longer, and maybe it is my climate - but I think the end is near.

Mrs K
Sandy is really lethargic and I initially thought she was dying of age, just didn't believe what I saw, because she seems so young to me compared to some of my other chickens who act 2 at age 6. I always thought they lived to at least 5 instead of 3-4, but some more research has proven you right; I guess I will be saying goodbye to Sandy, she seems to be beyond recovery after spending more time with her today anyway.

After all, doing more research on egg binding, I know she isn't egg bound, and because the other chickens are fine I don't think it is a parasite issue.

I was going to put her down this weekend, regardless of what it was; she really isn't feeling well and is very skinny. I know she doesn't have much time left, but she is not doing well and I'd hate for her to suffer because she's such a sweet and smart chicken.

They're usually fed Nature Wise layer feed, I had them on something different for awhile (about a month) because I couldn't go all the way to Fleet Farm, where I get the Nature Wise. The other stuff was from my local country store that was higher in protein, I don't remember what it was called. They free-range most of the time, so I don't provide poultry grit for them. They end up eating a lot of eggs because they lay a lot and we never are able to consume them all before they go bad. They get occasional old-fashioned rolled oats for a treat. I will give them a separate dish of oyster shell only every once in a while because they finish those little bags so quickly (probably a sign that I should try to find it in bulk).
I haven't treated them for mites in a long time. I never have used anything that has a danger/toxic level, and haven't been putting anything on the birds. I didn't see many mites on her when I gave her a bath, though.

I've never given the chickens any medication/done fecal float tests.

Sandy is really lethargic and I initially thought she was dying of age, just didn't believe what I saw, because she seems so young to me compared to some of my other chickens who act 2 at age 6. I always thought they lived to at least 5 instead of 3-4, but some more research has proven you right; I guess I will be saying goodbye to Sandy, she seems to be beyond recovery after spending more time with her today anyway.

After all, doing more research on egg binding, I know she isn't egg bound, and because the other chickens are fine I don't think it is a parasite issue.

I was going to put her down this weekend, regardless of what it was; she really isn't feeling well and is very skinny. I know she doesn't have much time left, but she is not doing well and I'd hate for her to suffer because she's such a sweet and smart chicken.
Unfortunately, production breeds don't live long, the excessive laying takes a toll.

Back
Top Bottom