Isa brown hen squatting neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mattschooks, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mattschooks

Mattschooks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Hi.
    Cindy my isa brown hen has been acting a bit weird. Every time I come to see the chook she has her head tucked down and is always standing still. I have them out with me now and she is just standing up half the time asleep and not eating or scratching around like the other hen. I'm not sure what it is and she has had this for about 4weeks but it seems to be becoming slowly worse. What should I do? Also her crop is pretty soft and she lays an egg every couple of days but they are all soft shelled and always broken usually not in nesting box.
    Here are some pics http://s1228.beta.photobucket.com/user/ssmoonfleet/library/Chickens/Cindy
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    It sounds like its egg related, here is a link about soft shell eggs. Try giving her a calcium tablet for a few days to see if she passes an egg easier. Have you seen what her poop looks like? Is she eating and drinking? She looks very unwell.
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggproblems.html

Also check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats and drinks to make sure it's flat.

Has she been dewormed?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    The way she sits and puffs up with her neck in your picture is because she is not feeling good. Shes is sick. She has something going on and I would think it has to do with the soft eggs. She probably has an infection caused by the problem that is causing her to have soft eggs, you could treat her with antibiotics, however, it's to know what is going on inside. There is so many egg disorders, lots of Information on this site.

Also google soft egg problems on the Internet and this might help explain why this happens.

How old is she?

Deworming is important. Garlic is a great idea, not a complete preventative. They all should be dewormed.

4. Mattschooks

Mattschooks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Mum is going to ask about deforming and calcium tablets today. She is 18 months old. This morning she looks fine again with her head up pecking around just changes sometimes
    Thanks

5. Mattschooks

Mattschooks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. SparkleTia

SparkleTia Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    My chicken has a squatted neck like your chicken "Isa" did and I dont know what to do. I thought she was just constipated so I have been feeding her molasses mix with water for 4 days, but there is no change. How did you solve this problem with yours (Isa). The weather has been very confusing but it has rained recenlty and its has gone from warm to cokd in just 2 day, if any of that info helps. Also she is a Rhode Island Red... @Mattschooks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by