Isa Brown laid a white egg??

paulowen08

Hatching
Oct 22, 2015
My Isa Brown hens are about 26 weeks. I got my very first egg from one of them this morning but it was white lol.. and really hard like almost calcified on the outside. I have an older Isa that always gives me smooth brown eggs.. I have 2 ducks in the flock that lay but stopped for the fall season but I am pretty sure it wasn't them because it was up in the chicken nesting box and the ducks have never been able to get up there. Is this normal or do I maybe have a different breed than I thought lol.

There are two possibilities here. A brown eggs is just a white egg coated with brown pigment. It's possible that your Isa Brown hen might not have produced the brown pigment for some physical reason. Of course the other possibility is that you have something other than a Isa Brown. What color are your hen's earlobes? If they are red, she should be laying brown eggs. If they are white, she is not an Isa Brown and will lay white eggs. If you want to post a pic for us, we can verify whether or not she is a Isa Brown.

Last edited:

This is one of my 26 week old girls

this is my girl that is giving me brown eggs

these are the other 2 of my 26 week old girls I'm pretty sure the one on the left is the one giving
me the white eggs

this is the egg I got this morning.. the bottom looks like it wishes it was brown lol

I know this is an older post, however, I came across it when looking for advice on my own white-egg-worries.

I have 4x Isa Browns. They've all been giving me 4x beautiful dark golden brown eggs for a few months now. But today i collected 3x beautiful dark golden brown eggs and, very oddly, 1x pure white egg.

I have recently wormed them and have not been able to free range them lately due to house and yard renovations, it is mid winter here at the moment (AUS) and not sure if either of these could be a reason for the white egg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170824_082751.jpg
    20170824_082751.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 17
I know this is an older post, however, I came across it when looking for advice on my own white-egg-worries.

I have 4x Isa Browns. They've all been giving me 4x beautiful dark golden brown eggs for a few months now. But today i collected 3x beautiful dark golden brown eggs and, very oddly, 1x pure white egg.

I have recently wormed them and have not been able to free range them lately due to house and yard renovations, it is mid winter here at the moment (AUS) and not sure if either of these could be a reason for the white egg.

Do you have any chicken that looks different than the others? Could be you have Another breed. Otherwise I don't really know.....

Browne eggs are white eggs with a coating of pigment on the outside of the shell. The bird that layed this egg had an off day in the paint department. If placed on a white paper i suspect youll see its very erry lightly tinted

Egg got laid before the brown coating was applied.

Browne eggs are white eggs with a coating of pigment on the outside of the shell. The bird that layed this egg had an off day in the paint department. If placed on a white paper i suspect youll see its very erry lightly tinted
Thank you for your reply. Does this mean there may be something wrong or one is lacking something in her diet? The shell is only very thin on this egg compared to normal too, ants maybe due to its lack of colour it is a bit more translucent.

Back
Top Bottom