Big Red Roosters

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
United States of America
I have one Isa Brown, she's a sweetheart. She hasn't missed a day of laying since spring. She's about a year and a half old.
I noticed for several weeks that her eggs were looking a little different, some weren't totally colored, others were a bit wrinkled, and the yolks had little red spots. I know they weren't embryos as she is not with any roosters.
It never bothered me, I figured she can't always be perfect when pumping out so many eggs.
She eats flock raiser and eggshells. They're her favorite and so I always save a few for her.
Now I may be jumping the gun a bit, I let her free range the last two days, but there were no eggs in her usual nesting box. So today I left her inside to see, and still no egg.
The outside temperature went from 60° to 0° overnight and It hasn't gone back up. Could this be a factor or could she be having internal egg problems? She's a bit poofed up, but so is everyone else, its freezing out there.

Not unusual for 1.5 year old hens to take a break in the laying cycle. At times this is preceded by misshapen eggs. On the other hand sex links are more prone to reproductive tract problems. If she continues to eat and act otherwise normally, I would hope that this is only a break in production.

Not unusual for 1.5 year old hens to take a break in the laying cycle. At times this is preceded by misshapen eggs. On the other hand sex links are more prone to reproductive tract problems. If she continues to eat and act otherwise normally, I would hope that this is only a break in production.
Thank you. I was told to expect her to stop laying completely by two years of age. No big deal, I just want her to have a good life. She has such a repetitive laying schedule I was caught off guard by this. I'll keep my fingers crossed, the kids adore her and so do I.

I'm at work, when I get home I'll see if I have any left in the fridge. It's more at the pointy end of the egg, not the entire shell.
I’m going to assume you know what a lash egg is right? Sometimes my hens will lay for better lack of terminology heavy bottom eggs where one end only is rough and more calcium is deposited thicker I guess would be right. It seems to be part of her cycle. She’ll lay one or two in a row right before she takes a day off.
They get a bit smaller too. I’ve learned not to worry because it’s just how this particular hen is.

I’m going to assume you know what a lash egg is right? Sometimes my hens will lay for better lack of terminology heavy bottom eggs where one end only is rough and more calcium is deposited thicker I guess would be right. It seems to be part of her cycle. She’ll lay one or two in a row right before she takes a day off.
They get a bit smaller too. I’ve learned not to worry because it’s just how this particular hen is.
That's good to know, I really appreciate it. I hope to be home soon, work is taking longer than I expected.

These are the only ones I have left. The one has really dark spots which aren't her normal either. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
I feel better after reading your messages though, thanks!

Attachments

• 20181109_183311.jpg
    20181109_183311.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20181109_183327.jpg
    20181109_183327.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom