Isa Brown or GSL?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Azriel, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Are they the same, and where do I find them. I have looked at most of the hatcherys, and see Red Star, Red Mix, exct. , but not Isa Brown or GSL. My first chickens were GSL, they are about 3 years old now and I will most likley cull them next fall. I got some Production Reds this spring, but am not really all that thrilled with their eggs. They have been laying for 4 months now and the eggs are still no larger than medium, and I don't think they are laying more than 4 days a week. I know that is average, but my GSL layed xlarge or jumbo 9-10 days in a row before they would take a day off then start over again. In addition to the breeds that I like and want to breed, I keep a small laying flock (about 25) that I sell eggs from to help pay for feed, and my customers have gotten used to the xlarge and jumbo eggs and I don't think they are going to want to pay the same price for these much smaller eggs.

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Thanks, I new I saw them somewhere, but couldn't find them now that I was looking again.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Also, look for Golden Comets - I believe that's what Cackle calls them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by