ISA Brown taste

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
I have 5 ISA Brown hens and I was thinking about butchering them when they get old/stop laying.

I was told by someone that ISA brown's taste like crap and they wouldn't even give the meat to their dog.

I know that old non laying hens are tougher and need to be made into stew, soup or canned to soften the meat but would a ISA Brown really taste that much different than another breed like a barred rock etc.?

I doubt it and that person should probably have their head checked. :oops: ;)

Just kidding! Really, we all have different preferences. If you are used to eating a young broiler with not much flavor or texture, than eating an older bird of ANY breed might throw you off a bit. Both the texture and flavor will be different. And yes it DOES vary from breed to breed. But I haven't YET met a breed that was simply to gross to eat or even feed to my dog. And I would consider that to be user error really. The older and tastier birds do make for richer flavored everything. Getting used to the flavor of REAL chicken, it is an adjustment when you were raised like me... never even eating chicken off of a bone or with skin.

Prepare it right, and be proud that you didn't let a life go to waste and that you know where you food came from and how it was treated every single day! :drool
It's a worthy goal. Good luck and best wishes. :thumbsup

I was told by someone that ISA brown's taste like crap and they wouldn't even give the meat to their dog.

What a waste. We, as a society, waste so much. There is still value.

Some dogs are picky eaters. We always have enough competition that what we offer gets eaten. Like Jerry Clower's okra. It's gone.

I'm looking forward to trying old hen. The roosters were tough, but full of flavor. I like wild meat. Some people don't. Try it with an open mind. Brother, my dear brother, likes coon. Chicken fed coon, but coon none the less.

If you plan on stewing them it's very important not to let it boil. A slow simmer edge of pot or less is as hot as you want it to get. Nothing ruins an old bird quicker than overheating. Using a crock pot is safest way to go. Low and slow.

I just had a barred rock hen go broody on me 2 days ago.

I went out and bought buff orpingtons in hopes of getting a broody because I have been told it's not common for barred rocks to go broody.

Back
Top Bottom