Isa Brown

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by K-12 Chickens, Jul 21, 2011.

1. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me information on the Isa Brown breed. In most chicken breed books I never see this breed. Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    ISA Browns are not a breed, but are rather a hybrid red sex-link. They are pretty much the industry standard brown egg layer. They won't breed true, but they will lay a mighty amount of eggs.

Townline Hatchery sells the chicks.

3. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I have two Isa Browns and they both lay large brown eggs. [​IMG]

4. ChickenBoy14

ChickenBoy14 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Im thinking of geting 3 ISA brown hybryed hens and im working on knowing all of the desieses they could get ?

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The ISA hybrid (not a breed) has been in genetic development for over 30 years. She stills own many of the world wide laying records for brown eggs. Other hybrids have now surpassed, perhaps, some of those records, but the ISA remains a very popular hybrid in the laying industry. The ISA is a 4 way cross, not a simple two way cross.

The ISA is subject to no more or less diseases than most any other breed. They are thrifty eaters, hardy, fair to midland foragers and pleasant birds to be around. The commercial manual of the bird can be read here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...RnCgUD&sig=AHIEtbSZnUmiW6ZJQsCmjlZS1ynrsW1hWA

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. Fred's Hens

The only retail outlet for hatchery orders that is licensed in the United States to sell the ISA Brown, AFAIK, is Townline Hatchery, Zeeland, MI.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Good job on finding that manual Fred. Can you find the one for McMurray's White Leghorns too? :D

Here is my ISA Brown order for the year:

[​IMG]

They've become the core of my layer flock these last several years.

8. Fred's Hens

AT

I do not know which genetics outfit (Hy-line, Hi-Sex, Hubbard, etc) that McMurray gets their breeder stock. If I knew that? Sure, those manuals are available.

9. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Townline responded very promptly (within hours) when I emailed them with a question about one of my Isa Browns that the store I bought it from (they order from Townline) couldn't answer.

Just a note: It takes a really green chickenkeeper to screw up when buying a sex-link.
    ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by