Isa Browns and Bantams

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Noodles2008, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Noodles2008

Noodles2008 New Egg

Aug 26, 2008
    Nowra NSW Australia
    I am wanting to keep Isa Brown and Bantam hens together in one coop. Is this ok as they are both docile breeds?

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

You can keep standard size and bantams together. There will probably by the usually pecking and establishing of pecking order but, they should settle down and be fine.

3. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    i had 4 isa browns,1 roo and 3 girls the roo was nuts, but the girls were very docile, and from what i know and heard about banties they are nuts anyways, my other chickens used to pick on the little isa girls. either way good luck, you can keep them together but the isas may be picked on

4. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I have a 2 year year old EE hen, 2 Isa Brown pullets, 2 Cochin pullets, and one Mille Fluer D'uccle pullet... One of my Isa Browns has challenged the EE for queenship (long drawn out stare down- the IB blinked first.) SO far she is allowed to think she is something like that, but, my little blue Cochin is still number 2 and lady-in-waiting to the EE. Everyone seems (they just kind of ignore her) to get along other than the occasional peck by the above mentioned Isa Brown towords the newer Frizzled Cochin. In other words....They should be fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  5. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    We have 4 ISA browns (2 BOs and 2 Black sex links) with 10 bantam cochin pullets and 2 bantam roosters all running together. They get along quite well. Some of the bantys are higher up in the order than the IBs, but generally are fine. The bantam roosters find the size of the big girls a bit challenging, but I found one of the big girls squatting in a hole the other day for the little banty rooster. He managed just fine!

6. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Quote:ISA browns are hybrids right?.....do you know what two breeds?

7. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Quote:ISA browns are hybrids right?.....do you know what two breeds?

ISA browns are Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island White crosses. Ours started laying at 19 weeks and we're getting an egg each per day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by