ISA Browns meet the school bus every day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daisy8s, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    I purchased three ISA Brown hens a few weeks ago and am already noticing how much more friendly and curious they are than my Rhode Island Red and my Light Brahma.

When my boys get off the school bus the birds run to the road to meet them! I thought the boys were calling the birds but they said nope, the birds just come on their own. I have to wonder what the bus driver thinks watching the chickens race each other. It's the highlight of my day, seeing their fluffy butts waddling as fast as they can go up the drive!

The ISA Browns really are amazing. They're far smaller than my LB and even a tad smaller than my RIR so I assume they eat less and yet they lay HUGE eggs and at about twice the rate of my LB.

The only good thing I can say about my LB is that she's a good guard hen--seems to be the alert system for predators and doesn't lose her head when dangers approach but leads the others to a safe place. But, she's a food hog and lays small eggs the least often.

Anyway, all this to say that I don't hear much about ISA Browns here on the forum but they're the breed I'd recommend by far. Pretty birds (very similar coloration to my RIR), extremely curious and interactive, and prolific layers of large eggs. Oh, by the way, the hens I have are 2 yrs old and still laying like this!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I bet your sons love that the girls run to greet them! You need to get that on video sometime. [​IMG] I have a young band (2 EEs and an andalusian) who do that when I pull into the driveway- they're like dogs running to greet my car.
    Most folks out there would never believe how friendly and smart some chickens are....

3. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Very cool. Mine always come running when they hear or see me.

4. Debbiedodo

Debbiedodo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    White Cloud, MI
    I too have Isa Browns. I have had a problem with feather picking but other than that, I really like them. They are friendly, smart, curious and lay a lot of beautiful eggs. They actually get in my way in the coop and I have to throw a little scratch in their run to do my chores inside. They are easy to pick up because they are always around my feet. Anyway, they have a lot of personality.

5. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    I expected them to run to me since I'm the food lady but it took me by surprise when they started greeting the boys off the school bus, after all that bus is a pretty big and intimidating machine!

Anyway the boys love it...and we're all enjoying our ISA's.

I saw a bit of pecking when they were new and establishing the pecking order but they're far less mean than my LB (can't wait to cull that bird).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by