ISA Browns -- my what large eggs you have!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Denninmi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I'm really amazed at the size of some of the eggs my new ISA Browns are laying. All of them are larger than those my RIR's lay. Some of them are real whoppers.

For comparison, from left to right, some of today's crop:

Isa Brown (with quarter), Rouen duck (nickle), RIR (penny), and 3 button quail eggs (dime)

[​IMG]

2. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

my isa browns make huge eggs to

my relatives that i give my eggs to think i put hornomes ( i don't) in them because they are massive

they use them in recipies and stir me up about putting half a egg in instead of a whole becuase the egss are bigger than standard

most of my big eggs are double yolkers [​IMG]

3. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Does ISA Brown lay big eggs most of the time or occasionally? How many big eggs in a week?

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Here are my questions relate to ISA Brown:

1) How fast is ISA Brown growing?
    2) How long does the hen start laying egg?
    3) Is this breed aggressive?

5. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    I had that big one for breakfast this morning. It was a double yolker.

Kulangi -- ALL of my Isa Brown eggs are consistently very large. Not as big as the one in the photo, but definitely bigger than the RIR's. Definitely all would qualify as Jumbo's by supermarket standards.

Speedy2020 -- Isa Browns grow and develop at the same rate as any chicken, basically. Mine started to lay in late November/early December, when they hit almost exactly 6 months old. The birds are about the same size as my RIR's. I can only speak for my six, but they are very docile and good natured and seem to enjoy being petted.

6. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    i'd love some, but darn it, you can breed them.

also townline hatchery, the 'authorized' dispenser of them sells em at a very very high price, unless you get about 100,000.

?

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Does anyone have a pic of an Isa Brown at 4 weeks of age?

8. Denninmi

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:I bought them at the local feed store last spring, $3 each.

9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Quote:I've had 12 ISA Browns since the first of April 2010. They began laying at the end of July, so they were between 15-17 weeks old. I believe the chicks were close to 2 weeks old when I got them (not 2-3 days like TSC said) because their wing feathers were well developed. They were on chick grower feed + lots of greens until they began laying.

No, they're definitely NOT aggressive hens. I don't have a rooster, so I don't know how the roos behave, but my girls are very affectionate. However, they were skittish and wary until they began doing the submissive squat just prior to commencing to lay. Now they are eager for attention, will take treats from my hand and enjoy being picked up and petted.

I have been told that since the ISA Brown is a hybrid, if you breed an ISA Brown roo to an ISA Brown hen you wouldn't necessarily get chicks with all the good qualities of the parents, due to the laws of genetics. You get throwbacks to RI Reds and RI Whites as well as some ISA Brown types.

The eggs I get from my girls are consistently extra large or larger (2.3 ounces +) with tan to dark brown shells and very orange yolks.

10. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Everyone.... meet Bertha:

[​IMG]

Bertha. Everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by