ISA Browns, Red Stars, and Comets--which lays best?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jmc, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Also, where can you get ISA browns (if they differ from the above............???)

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    As far as I can tell they all lay about the same, We have red and gold and black sex link. The black may not be quite as heavy a layer as the reds but from what Iv'.e heard they usually last longer in their laying carrer than the red. [​IMG] Isa Browns are the same thing as what Ideal sells as Brown sexlinks.

3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Sex Links have many names:
    Red Sex Link
    Red Star
    Golden Commet
    Black Sex Link
    Black Star
    Etc...

Isa Browns, I don't know. They lay about the same.

4. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    [​IMG] they are all the same! they are sex links isa browns are red sex links but some hatcherys call them ISA browns and black sex links are just a black color instead of brownish red. golden comets the same too. all lay the same!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:There is a difference in the way that they are breed, but as far as laying abilities they should all be about the same.

Don't know for sure but have been told that an ISA Brown is a cross of RIR and the chickens that hatcheries call Rhode Island Whites.

Another thing that I heard [​IMG] that the Brown sexlink have black tail feathers instead of white like Golden Comets.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Townline Hatchery

They have the I.S.A. Browns.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My neighbor sells eggs at an Organic market, and he has Red Stars from McMurray. They lay the most humongous dark brown eggs, they are just gorgeous. When he replaces his girls, he always goes back for the Red Stars. Says they are the best layers he's ever had.

8. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thanks all.

i know someone who swears by red stars, as well...............

isa browns seem a little...........different. much harder to get than the comets, stars, and red sl s. the only dealer of them is townline hatchery and they are 8.00 per bird in numbers of less than 49 if i remember correctly........................isa are created by a french company originally...........

9. xchickengirlx

xchickengirlx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2015
    I went to TSC and got six chickens. 3 of the six look like Red sex links, but the bin had both Isa Browns and the sex links. I cant tell if i got an Isa brown or not....
    One looks different from the others cause she has alot less white, while the others are a redish brown with some white on their tails, can anyone help me please???

10. cwalsh2

cwalsh2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    The ISA people are the largest poultry breeders in the world. Their hybred ISA brown is only 4.3 pounds and has a feed conversion factor of 2.14, meaning that for every 2.14 Lbs of feed they lay, they produce a pound of egg. The heavier sex link birds from other hatcheries can't come close. This is why 60% of the brown egg production in the world is from ISA browns. ISA also produces the Amberlink, a slightly heavier 4.5 Lb hen that is said to do better as a forager or on grain mix's instead of processed feed. Most ISA lines are developed for battery type egg factories, but lay very well in the average henhouse. ISA has also produced production Leghorns that only weigh 3.8 Lbs and far outperform traditional full size leghorns. As the largest breeder of egg production breeders in the world, they have resourses that are beyond the reach of smaller operations. The ISA browns and Amberlink are sold by Hoover, Town Line, and Mt Healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by