Isa Browns?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OurBackyardFarm, Mar 11, 2016.

1. OurBackyardFarm

OurBackyardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, after reading way too many articles last night, I started to question my "girls". First, do they look like a true Isa brown? Second, do they appear to be pullets? And last, any idea on age? I was under the impression that they are a week and 2 days as of today. But...now I'm starting to wonder. Lol. They are trying to fly! Is that normal? Oh my goodness, so much to learn about chickens. Lol

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Where did you get them?

3. OurBackyardFarm

Mar 8, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Tractor Supply. [​IMG] Just now learning that we should have gone through a breeder or whatever.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They look like they've got the right golden chick down of red sexlink pullets. They look like they are about 2 weeks old. It should be fairly easy to spot any boys as they feather in. Males feather in solid white and get some red/gold feathering as they mature. Females have white primary feathers and tails, but the overall should feather in gold/red/brown.

5. OurBackyardFarm

Mar 8, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Oh good!!! I was seriously panicking for a minute there. Not that it would matter too much because I love them all so much but still....lol. I am curious, 2 of them seem to have shorter feathers than the rest (on the wings and booty), maybe I can get a better picture later. Is that just an individual chicken thing?

6. OurBackyardFarm

Mar 8, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

I think maybe you can see what I mean in this picture.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just different rates of development. Not all of them will feather in at the exact same rate.

8. OurBackyardFarm

Mar 8, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Gotcha! :) thank you!!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree they look like red sex link pullets. Keep in mind, at someplace like tractor supply, they may have different age birds together. Or, some simply do develop faster.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by