Isaac Almost Killed Another SonToday...Deacon Has Recovered, and..... (update 11/30)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Oct 16, 2014.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some of you recall that Isaac killed his 20-something week old son, Indy, as Indy was surpassing him in size. Isaac apparently ran and launched himself off the coop ramp, which goes downhill and hit Indy full force in the back. Isaac never willingly shares his five hens, but he has been living with Deacon for a very long time, many months now. He's knocked Deacon off the hens so many times, I've lost count, and the hens never change, never accept Deacon as one of their roosters. They always yell for Ike to rescue them, which he does.

I was letting all the flocks out today after the misting rain quit and was heading for the main coop, pretty much walking right in front of it when I heard a huge commotion in Isaac's side. Most of the time, it's Deacon grabbing a hen, she yells, Ike knocks him off and Deacon then yells and runs off. Today, it sounded different.

I went straight to Ike's coop and when I opened the door, saw all the hens in the right corner looking diagonally across the room. I saw the side of Isaac underneath the bottom rung of the bottom roost bar in a space between the support leg of it and the back wall, really only about a 1' square space. No Deacon. I heard muffled sounds and upon stepping inside and asking "Where is Deacon?", Isaac shifted his weight and Deacon shot out from under him, backwards, to the back corner, obviously hurt. He had been underneath Isaac. Ike is about 9 lbs and Deacon is probably 6 lbs. He didn't stand up all the way and he'd never done that before so I yelled out that Deacon was hurt so DH would hear me over the baby monitor and quickly ran around to open the pop door, knowing they would all run out and we could tend to Deacon.

DH came running down the hill and after some confusing signals, DH thinking old Isaac was hurt, he finally understood and went inside and pulled Deacon out of the corner. He was shaking, his head sort of lolling around on his neck. We took him up toward the house and husband put him on the ground carefully. Deacon did his little dance up to DH as he always does for petting, but he was very shaky and suddenly, he listed to the left and fell on the ground, thrashing around, not able to stand, not able to control his neck. Not a pretty sight. There is no blood, not a scratch on him. Ike just pounced on him and apparently either jerked his head back or just hit him in the right spot, but there wasn't enough room in that location to get enough force to take him out immediately like he did to Indy about a year ago.

We got 2 baby aspirin into Deacon immediately to offset any swelling, not knowing what exactly the injury was, neck or spine, wrapped him in a warm towel and DH sat in his recliner with Deacon for about an hour. He'd shake his head back and forth from time to time-certain movements would prompt an almost Parkinson's-like head movement, then he's settle. When he began to get fidgety, we took him to our late Zane's cage, which I had prepared with deep hay and reptile bulb.

He did stagger a bit when we sat him down, then seemed to catch his balance and crowed, then he shakily walked to his food bowl and started eating his Knockout scratch. When he's turn his head a certain way, it would shake back and forth like a tremor, then he'd catch himself. We had to go to town to get feed and when we got back, he was crowing his heart out. He is standing better and seems okay, but I'm still wondering about swelling.

If he survives this, Deacon will not be going back to live with Isaac and he cannot go live with Rex. Again, I'm going to be asking myself what to do with Deacon. We love this rooster. He is the biggest goober, a true pet rooster. In truth, there is much about Deacon that reminds me of my beloved Zane. He's super smart and friendly and funny and he loves to be petted. Please think good thoughts for Deacon. Good thing I named him after a tough football player!

Here is Deacon Jones, The One Spur Wonder, Goober Extraodinaire:
    ****you can see the space he was in in the upper left of the first photo, under that roost bar, against the back wall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Wow! I hope Deacon heals quickly, poor guy. Do you think there is a reason Ike felt so threatened by him today? Do You have somewhere else to put Deacon? Love the name, by the way. Any chance your next roo will be "Franco?" (Are we showing our ages by our favorite football players?:lol:)

3. speckledhen

I honestly have no idea. They've been stuck inside more over the last few days due to the rain, but other than that, I'm clueless as to why Isaac suddenly got serious about hurting him.

I really have nowhere to put Deacon. There are no available pens/coops unless I oust someone from somewhere. There is an extra large wire dog kennel in the front storage area of the BR coop that Deacon knows as "Deacon's Place", but it's fairly cool for a winter abode and no pen, only free ranging if he gets out of it. I'm serious, if he's out running loose and we want to corral him, we can say, "Go to Deacon's place!" and most of the time, he'll go right to that cage, expecting to get scratch in his bowl. He's a smart guy.

Ha, when I hear "Franco", I think of James Franco, LOL.

4. speckledhen

Deacon has been living in my late Zane's cage since this happened. He obviously has pain in his neck, but hasn't been falling over while confined to the cage-he can stand up and walk, eats and drinks, has a reptile bulb at the back for warmth. This morning, my husband took him out to see how well he could walk. He walked around okay, danced a little, his usual Deacon greeting to his pals, then he tried to turn his head up to the right, lost his balance, began staggering and ended up on the ground, flapping and panicking.

I'm still very concerned. Could be a permanent injury or just something that will take a long time to heal. Not sure what exactly the injury is or precisely where, other than along the neck somewhere. Maybe Isaac jerked his neck back when he jumped on him, no idea. Wish I had seen what exactly happened. [​IMG]

ETA: He is getting daily aspirin for now to keep down dangerous swelling.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm sorry Cyn, it's so difficult to see them not well. It sounds like maybe a neurological injury?

6. speckledhen

Could be, but can't be certain. We're making him rest and providing warmth and beyond that, not much we can do unless someone xrays his neck, not an easy task with a chicken. We should all have little portable xray machines for our flocks, shouldn't we? I don't have a chicken vet and my long distance vet (Cetawin's horse vet who helps me sometimes-thoroughbred vet for a chicken, whodathunkit?) is on an extended vacation for two more weeks.

My husband is extremely attached to Deacon. That bird is so smart and friendly and just unique. I hope he recovers. He does remind me of Zane sometimes.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor Deacon, this is the first I've heard of it. When silkies spaz out with neurological probs, sometimes vet s have them on prednisone, to relieve swelling of brain.

8. speckledhen

He crows like normal, acts okay except when he goes to turn his head a certain direction. So, I'm hoping he has an injury that will subside over the course of a couple of weeks time. Then, I have to figure out what to do with him. He has no hens, no pen to himself. And I really can't afford to build one. Atlas is being really good so he'll be staying or I'd give Deacon his two girls and coop.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How is he doing today?

10. speckledhen

He's staying in the cage. Just gave him some grits with egg mixed in and his aspirin in there. We'll have to check him later on to see if he's walking better.

ETA: There may be some slight improvement. When he walks, his head constantly lists back and forth, but when he staggered, he caught himself and did not fall over. One point on his comb is laying over a bit, not its normal upright position. When he tries to look up, it's obvious that he does not have range of movement, but at least he isn't falling on the ground today.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by