Isaac the 6-week old rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ahparks, Feb 20, 2013.

1. ahparks

ahparks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Isaac was hatched on January 3, 2013 and he is a cross of Black Jersey Giant and white Leghorn. When he was 5 1/2 weeks old I started to hear a strange sound coming from the chick pen. It sounded like a squeaky door that was slowly closing. Then I heard the sound again, and days later once again. Finally, unexpectedly, while I was cleaning the pen, Isaac stretched his neck out, made that squeaky sqweeky loud sound and attempted to crow. Isaac was almost 6-weeks old. I quickly ran upstairs and got the video camera. I was able to record his last attempt at a crow before he tired out. Since that time, he attempts his three or four crows at least two or three times a day. My question is this, has anybody out there ever had a rooster start to crow at such a young age?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I have had white leghorns do this at the young of an age. It surprised me. I wouldn't expect one that young to start crowing but I guess you can never say never.

3. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I had a cockerel crow for the first time today...it sounds weird..he is almost 5 months. The pullets we got with him are just starting to get their combs in...I only have limited experience with chicks so far...as I have only had 7...but my one coming of age cockerel happened around 5 months...Lol.

5. my rooster started crowing when he was 4 months old. 6 weeks seems a bit young. You have a early crower i geuss. oh and you seem new so welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by