isabrown 's face , comb,wattles totally pale , can't find any injury and no other chicken looks as s

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by strangeanimal, Apr 19, 2017.

1. strangeanimal

strangeanimal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    My isa brown hen turned all white into the face , her comb is also looking unusual , she is used to get picked up for check up and when I pick her up she is unresponsive ! she really feels more heavy as if she is death already , she also acts different , she has los of appetite and her feathers look just , I don't know , something is of , her feathers are more like she hasn't got any oil in her tail and she is losing a lot . I already talked to a vet and he asked to check that she still lays but yes she still lays , this morning she did already , she is always one of the first , and usually uses the boxes same time as two light sussex girls , now sometimes she switches from box to box , this day she stays on one nest and acted ugly towards one of the sussex when usually there is not really an issue , looks as if she can't bare it that you come near here too , that sussex got pecked by her while on another day ( visable on a hencam you see them jumping on and of to nestbox and never did either of them have a problem with that , they have plenty of nestingboxroom and yet you know how they are they all go into the same nest sometimes , usually with isabella and now no one is allowed to get near the nest .

I even made her favourite recipe so she would get some extra strength but even that she refused :(( . ( she loves oatmeal with water and a little bit of bread in milk mixed together with a cooked egg where from she only gets the yolk into the dish but this time not responsive at all !!! is she dying ???

I haven't got a clue about her age , she is adopted when she was already an adult chicken and had high laycapacity which is the past few days become a bit less , i was also thinking about she might be in some kind of ' midlife crisis ' where she would slowly stop laying . Any ideas welcome please !!
    She is not a broody as the vet believed because she has no eggs under her .
    If this is just a laystop , I have never seen it happen so plse let me know how I can help her , this hen is a sweet one that even wants to cuddle !

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Do you have a photo of her?

3. strangeanimal

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    no and it is getting dark already , I'm also not on social media etc , can i post a picture just here due an upload ? in that case I'm going to try to get in the coop (they already went in , few are still outside but that sussex girl even sleeps outside sometimes ) .
    I'm gonna get my flashlight charged up and try to put a pic online !!!

She has no other symptons which is really odd , checked her today inside trhe house too , here the list :
    snotty nose = negative
    respitory issues = negative , no sounds at all , she breathes just fine ,
    beak = just fine , no discolorations , not slimy and no bad odor
    vent = just fine , she layed and the check on the egg : egg is anyway fertile because there is a rooster , many eggs are , but nothing unusual on the outside like red spikes or anything , just a normal good looking egg ,
    any injury visable like a wound = negative
    injury inside = negative ( I can use a machine anytime I like ) , not any broken things nor scrambled up inside
    comb = pale , more soft pink instead of red
    wattles = more pale than comb
    face = in fact pale instead of reddish
    temperature : she could have a fever but I'm not sure as it was only a little bit higher so I don't jump conclusion yet
    behavior : complains not at all , doesn't respond to anything / looks as if she is dreaming or is far away in her mind
    yet responds irritated sometimes , now I did more check on her so that could be just normal altough she usually is fine with it and loves to cuddle ( she really would get on your lap if you are working in the coop ) but like I said I haven't got a clue about her age so I am totally lost in finding any causes :(

First toughts vet and I had was broodiness altough I had some trouble believing Isabella would ever get broody and plus there are no eggs under her and she didn't stay on the nestingbox , BUT now few hours ago she got into the box again , she is now sitting there for maybe already six hours .
    My idea ? could it be that she has a second egg but that it got stuck ??? can't feel any egg but never did on that one yet she lays so ...
    plus sometimes she does lay two eggs on one day , yesterday she was all fine and even more active , I saw her '' looking '' as if she can't find her way anymore .
    I see you can insert image , so it will be waiting on the flashlight ( ran out of batteries but this one is luckily chargable !! so i keep u posted as soon as possible , thx for the concern about her !

4. strangeanimal

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    ok this is gonna sound weird but she is gone ! can't find her inside the coop nor anywhere around it and the hatch is closed now so she is out there by herself in a too dangerous place ( the forest is the only place she can be !!! ) I know that cats go to be alone to dy but I havent seen it on chickens , is this what a chicken that knows is going to die does ?? plse if this is the case I really like to know because she might get cured

5. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I'm not sure what chickens do. Maybe you should go look for her? I've never free ranged, so have no clue what chickens do.

6. strangeanimal

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    hi all , no more need to worry so it seems ! found Isabella today back , she sat in the coop from other people where also my roo was ' spreading the seeds ' . At first a few days ago my roo did not return which happens more , so I didn't worry yet but after a few days I did , found him at others and talked to them telling they had my roo , their answer " o but that poor boy sat on my car , my car is scratched you know " I said I was sorry for the damage and wanted to pay for it but according to them " no that is just fine , he sits with our chickens " , yeah but I like him back too , so we made an arrangement , he didn't come back yet but we can recognize his sound from here so he turns out to be fine impregnating the entire neighbourhood so Isabella must have gone after his crowing and guess what ??

she IS broody -_- , once I took her back to the coop she wanted out immediately , don't know why but perhaps too crowdy ?? so I took her inside and guess who is not leaving the nesting and is angry at me if I pet her ? or even just LOOK at her ? problem now is that my roo is gone and no eggs are fertile , so I gave her some older fertile eggs , what probably is not going to hatch , they are about ??? time ( about three weeks , a month ? I was gonna toss them out because they were still in the kitchencartoonboxes ) but she takes them as if they are indeed hers ...

This breed was never going to turn out broody they said to me ! well look what I got now , a broody isa brown sitting on old fertile eggs (and still those are a doubt , let's go to ebay ?? )

7. strangeanimal

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    well , they sort of do their own thing , one of my English old games is always in the trees :) , I just whistle in that are of woods and put some food but she doesn't come out untill I leave :) , some others just stay in the yard , and a few ( always with the three of them ) go to the neighbours , sit just in the middle of the farmers fields etc but they are now this season certainly ment to be here because the farmers don't like it as they worked hard now . Other chickens just leave in early morning and come back same hour knowing they get food , the ones that stay are usually the breeds like isabella :
    Red sex links stay
    sussex stay
    orpington used to , is gone missing ( im thinking she got stolen it was a pearl ! )
    rhode island switches more
    and my leghorn always stay , no way they ever would like to go somewhere
    Marans also switches of ( roo now left , but I d like him coming home about few days now , he is gone too long now )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by