Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Years ago our neighbors had a pig farm and the sows had the piglets out in the field in those half round quanzet huts. This quanzet happened to be beside a 12" in diameter tree with low hanging branches. As the sows had their piglets the farmers would go out there, to dock the tail and trim their teeth. They had four people doing it to make sure none of the piglets got away while they worked on them. One person watched the sows to give an alert if they got a bit huffy. Of course the piglets would squeal while they handled them. There was the one sow that had had her piglets and left them at the quanzet and was eating at the feeder when she heard one of her piglets squealing. She gave a GRUNT and came running at "mach one" speed, grunting/huffing the whole way to the quanzet, the lookout guy says, here she comes you better run!
One of the guys, instead of letting go of the sqealing piglet, he just hopped onto the quanzet thinking he'd be safe there.
Boy was he wrong! The mama pig went right after him, running him in several circles around the quanzet. By then he had dropped the piglet, but the sow wasn't done with him yet. She pushed him so hard he thought his life was seriously in danger. She ended up treeing him in that 12" tree right beside the quanzet. When she realized she couldn't get him, she turned her attention to the other guys. One by one she put all four guys into their own trees. She kept all four guys "treed" for two and a half hours! One of the neighbors drove by and saw what was going on and brought his tractor to "rescue" them.
:gig:lau:gig
That's Tremors level right there.

Since Dawg isn’t here to show us bad food I’ll show my tasty lunch.

Avocado Toast with a fried egg.

97FEB650-E430-4A81-A750-325D863ABE4C.jpeg

It was super tasty.

Pigs are scary! There's a reason we have our pen set up so I can feed and water from outside the pen. I can't imagine trying to deal with an angry sow 😳
My family farm used to have pigs, don't know what type, just the plain pink ones🤷‍♀️ Anyways, after a sow had a litter, we used to climb in with them and hold the piglets. Momma never cared, we would hold them and pet them and then pet her. None of them ever showed aggression

Please tell me that you called them George.
Nope. Oliver was my favorite and the only one I was allowed to name. He had a broken leg and would just sit in his pen and not make any noise. Until I came to see him, then he would oink like crazy. I would crawl into his pen and pet him. He was a good boy. I knew he was bound to be eaten, he was good then too😁
Yup, that's them. Man, they sure are cute

Back
Top Bottom