Isbar or Marans?

RoosterRiot

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
I bought this guy as a chick from a lady under the impression he was a blue Marans. After he feathered out I thought was just an oddly colored copper until I recently came across a picture of someone's Isbar rooster and saw that same light gold color. Is anyone able to tell what exactly he is?

WOW
ep.gif
love.gif
. He's beautiful!!!
Considering my scant knowledge of genetics, he could be a maran, but Isbar is very likely. More likely I think.

If you wanted to experiment with hatching and egg color, you could breed him to a hen who lays brown eggs and see what color eggs his offspring lay. Since Isbars lay green eggs, breeding him to hens that lay brown eggs would either produce dark brown eggs or dark, dark green olive eggs. If they lay olive eggs then he is Isbar, and if brown, then he is a maran mutt.

Thats a good idea. I've got some of both I can try with. He does have one offspring but it's a rooster.
The bread over the splash bantam on the left which resulted in the pretty small guy on the right.

That's cool.
So last night I was surfing greenfire farm's website, and I saw that they have a new variety of marans - blue birchen - and they look almost identical to your boy. The chances that he is a blue birchen from greenfire? Very slim. But birchen is common in marans, so the chances that he is a maran mutt? Very big
big_smile.png

I took a look at greenfires blue birchen Roos. I think my guys body size more closely matches them compared to the isbar. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom