Isbar x BCM questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TheChickenQueen, Jan 24, 2017.

1. TheChickenQueen

TheChickenQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Okay so recently I got a Blue Isbar rooster and had been considering putting him with my BCM hens and pullets once he finishes his time in quarantine. Has anyone else tried this cross and what did they chicks look like when they grew up?
    And would pullets from this cross lay olive eggs, dark brown, or either depending on the bird?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    They would be F1 (first generation) olive eggers. Googling "isbar marans" will bring up some pictures.

Scroll down and there are some pictures on here but read the captions and take that into account. I expect some will be blue and some will be black.

http://www.gapeysgrub.com/2016/02/olive-egger-chickens.html

3. cressrb

cressrb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I did try this cross. I have a blue Isbar Roo and bred to my BCM. This chicks were nice. I kept a blue hen from that until I could see the color of her eggs. They were an ugly muddy olive color which I did not like. For some reason others really do like it and I sold her.
    I posted the color of her eggs somewhere on this thread. May have been last Spsring.

4. TheChickenQueen

TheChickenQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Thank you two for the help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by