Ishi the visitor chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jrleek, Apr 3, 2018.

1. jrleek

jrleek Chirping

Aug 19, 2011
    This chicken has suddenly started visiting our flock. We don't know where she comes from, or where she goes at night. She comes in the morning and hangs around our chickens when we let them out. She even sneaks into our coop sometimes when the other chickens are all out, but some oour flock will chase her if she gets too friendly.

We think she must be an escapee or survivor from another flock, but we don't know from where. We asked the only person we know of with chickens nearby, and it's not hers. So we call her Ishi.

She's all black like an Australorp, but smaller, and with a rose (or pea?) comb, and a few feathers on her legs.

Attached Files:

drumstick diva and Trish1974 like this.
  2. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    My guess (which could totally be wrong!) would be an olive egger cross. Probably a black copper maran/ameraucana cross (or aurcana) Black copper maran would account for the black color and feathered legs, and ameraucana & aurcana breeds both have pea comb.

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    That looks more like a rose comb than a pea comb, to me.
    What color is the bottoms of her feet? if she would let you pick her up.
    Can you get a front pic? of the comb? maybe of her back feathers?

4. jrleek

jrleek Chirping

Aug 19, 2011
    I think you're right, since I got closer it looks more like a rose comb. The bottom of the feet are just like kind of grey from here. Attached is the best I could do for a front view.

She seems to have integrated herself into the flock. She slept in the coop last night, we'll see if she does it again. We haven't gotten an unusual egg yet. If we do we'll know venymae is right.

Attached Files:

• Ishi.png
      Ishi.png
      File size:
      929.7 KB
      Views:
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The feathered feet make her a real puzzle. She is beautiful!!

6. BubbaLikesIt

BubbaLikesIt Songster

Feb 9, 2013
    X2 That is one handsome chicken you got there. Austrcopperaurucaolivia.....yup, that's what it is.

21hens-incharge likes this.
  7. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop
    She has a rose comb and feathered legs. No breed has those two features. Therefore, a mix. And quite an interesting one too! Probably has marans in there somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: