Isn`t it to late to start molting?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henney penny, Oct 30, 2011.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Some of my buff orpintons that turned a year old in April are molting right now,is that normal ,my goodness it snowed here last night and is very cold.There poop boards are full of feathers that fell out of them while they slept.So I am not getting any eggs either.Could there be something else wrong why they would be losing there feathers at this time of year?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Around 18 months is as usual time to molt. It doesn't seem to stop them that this may come when the weather is turning cold.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    It's normal, some of my hens are molting also. Every morning, new feathers all over the place.

4. bethgranberg

bethgranberg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    My buff orphington is also molting right now actually just finishing up it is quite cold here too at night but we have had soe very warm nice weather during the day here. I am not worried just let nature take its course although she is not laying from what I understand that is normal.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Last year my birds were molting right into December. By Christmas we had feet of snow on the ground and I had half bald chickens. They did fine after a fashion. They wouldn't go out in the inclement weather and avoided going out on windy days, but otherwise seemed to be their normal (albeit bald) selves. The cold doesn't bother my birds overmuch anyway.

It is supposed to be a sign of a good producing bird when they molt this late. It means they will get their feathers sooner and go through the process quicker than a bird that starts to molt earlier in the season. As a result, they lay more eggs over the course of their lives.

Good luck.

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Thanks so much for the answers,my egg customers make me feel so guilty asking what I was doing to my chickens to make them stop laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by