Isn't a farriers job to work with horses????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by debilorrah, Apr 9, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

So. A farrier came out today to shoe the horses. This moron managed to get one shoe on Duchess a calm horse. She didn't buck, she didn't rear up, she danced aroung, mainly because this guy was focused on her feet instead of calming her a bit. He threw up his hands and said "I can't help you".

So I walked up to her, talked to her softly for about 10 seconds, reached down and picked up her foot. No dancing, no pushing. I have to think this guy is just a moron.

One shoe. Great.

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    That SUCKS!! That guy needs a new field to work in and you need to find a better farrier or go barefoot.

My experience with barefoot trimmers - all women - are wonderful and caring. They all spend time talking to the horses and not just walking up and grabbing a hoof.

3. debilorrah

THe problem is Duchess has a split in her hoof and it needs to be shoed.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Find you a new one because it doesnt matter about the horse the farrier should be able to handle any situation anyhow.

5. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Right now I have 3 horses

A dead qt 19yr marab that will let you do anything

a 7yr old green paint mare who is good but not very expereinced with being shod (jiggles some when nailing)

an 11yr old pintabian who while not mean and nasty is pretty good about pulling her front feet away She isn't fun too shoe but isn't going to try to kick or kill you

it took my 3 tries to find a blacksmith that wasn't upset with her and YET could get her in balance with a good angle.

I found him on Craigslist, he was an older guy who shoes all over the state as he does different parts on different days.

When I called asking about his services I told him I had a mare who wasn't easy but wasn't awful either.

I had one guy who wanted to tie this mare down, another who just passed on her

This guy was FAN FREAKIN TASTIC... AND the mare LIKED him. He could do both fronts with shoes in the time it took the others to do all 4!!

He said my mare had a bad expereince (just got her 2 years ago) and he said most young guys pull/jerk and yell. Whatever... I said he had the touch... he said no he just knows horses.

SO keep looking, it ma\\y take a few to find the right fit.

That said the more YOU clean the horses feet the better they will getand that is your job to make it easier fot the farrier. DOn;t just let him be the only one who ever messes with their feet.

If you keep at it long enough they will know and after you pick the first one they will shift weight to allow you to clean the next one.

Farriers LOVE those horses, or the ones who pick the foot up for them. The more you work with the horses on their feet the better it gets. several times a week even if you don't ride go clean their feet THEN u can give them a treat, eventually they connect the 2.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    One would think so. How aggravating.

7. debilorrah

Quote:Very aggravating. I understand Duke because he is a pistol, but not Duchess.

8. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Obviously, this was a very poor example of a farrier. However, bottom line is that it is YOUR job to teach your horses to stand to be trimmed--not his. If your horse kicks him and he cannot work for a few days, who is gonna pay him for his lost income?

I too have one who is a pistol to trim, mostly because trimming hurts her and she remembers the hurt, so she is not willing to get hurt again. Come time to trim, I give her a mild tranquillizer and a dose of bute. I work with her almost daily about giving her feet, but it is hard for her to trust. We ARE making progress and until we overcome this, I will continue to tranq and bute her come trim day. Every other horse in my barn has been worked with until they are really good to trim. There is no excuse to do less.

As always, JMO!

PAX!

Rusty

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    If you have a horse that stands perfectly for you, and dances for the farrier, maybe ask your vet for a tranquilizer to mellow the horse out for long enough to get the shoes on.

10. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Farriers get put in a lot of bad positions. When they feel they are in a no win situation, they have no choice but to stop work and leave.

I think it's very important to maintain a good working relationship with a farrier. While some of them are overly rough and not to be trusted, the decent ones only discipline the horse as much as absolutely necessary. It may not look as cuddly as how the owner might handle the horse, but shoeing is a different situation where the horse behavior of the horse really affects the quality of the shoeing work, and the horse really needs to behave or he is going to hurt the farrier and if he is hurt, the farrier won't be able to make a living while he heals up (IF he heals up).

The good farriers are reliable about disciplining horses, they know what to do in that respect, and should be left to do their job in the way that works for them.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by