Isn't frizzling a 50/50 shot? naked neck?**Update with pics**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyd2008, May 19, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Okay, I ordered some ameraucana eggs from DDD. Her naked neck frizzles lay very pretty blue eggs, neither one of us realized there had been a mix-up until I had a naked necked baby hatch [​IMG] Now this naked neck chick is getting its feathers and guess what? It is also frizzled!!

Aren't the naked neck and the frizzle gene both recessive? So what are the odds that I would hatch a naked neck chick that is also frizzled? These are [naked neck silkie X frizzle cochin] X BBS ameraucana mixes, for those that don't know of her birds [​IMG]
    Just thought it was kind of odd that the chick is naked neck and frizzle, thinking both these genes are recessive?

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have no idea about genetics but you better post a pic, it sounds like eye candy! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Please?

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    they are both autosomal dominant actually... and the egg colour too...

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Frizzling is dominant, but it is expressed in varying degrees. A single frizzle gene is desired, giving the bird just the right amount of curl to the feathers. Double frizzling genes will give your bird a permanent "I fought with the lawn mower and lost" look. Crossing a single frizzle gene parent to a non frizzled bird will result in 50/50 offspring. A lawn mower frizzle crossed to a non frizzled bird will result in all frizzled offspring. A frizzle and a lawn mower frizzle cross will result in frizzles and lawn mowers (lol, weird mental image there).

The Naked gene is dominant and behaves as any other dominant gene does. In some cases it will affect other feather tracts too.

5. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Both naked neck and frizzling are dominant. Extremely easy to get both on same bird. You can actually cross a naked neck with a frizzle and immediately get some naked necked frizzled chicks. If the naked necked parent was pure for the NN, then half of the chicks will be frizzled naked necks. That easy....

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Double frizzling genes will give your bird a permanent "I fought with the lawn mower and lost" look...A lawn mower frizzle crossed ...

Love it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Okay, well you asked for it....

*Disclaimer*- I cannot be held responsible for any damage caused to your computer when you barf on it....Please be sure to turn your head [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is a splash color, by the way. It looks kind of white in the pic.

9. Hi Shelley! S/he's a beauty! And definitely from the Naked Neck Frizzle pen.
    I'm a thousand-times-sorry that egg got mismarked and sent with the Am' eggs --- I'm always sooo careful not to mix them up (I wouldn't want them ending up with someone who doesn't appreciate how special they are).
    Good luck finding it a new home.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

10. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    AAAHH!! So cute I just love those wish I was closer to you.![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by