Isn't it too cold to buy shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cynthia12, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Was wondering if it's too cold..even if I got some just a couple of states over. The weather seems to be cold everywhere in the states. Has anyone, or IS anyone having success with having eggs hatch after receiving shipped eggs? I would love to, but am afraid that it's too cold. It's been in the mid to high 30's here, going to be close to 40 today, but at night it's in the low 30's to mid or high 20's.
    Anyone?

2. mitch324

mitch324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Macedon, NY
    My understanding is they are fine unless they freeze.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I wondered too cuz I want some BR eggs from GA. I suppose if they are wrapped right but I don't know.

anyone?

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    It depends where you live. You can check 10days forecast from Weather.com and go from there. The main issue are too much packages at the postal office this time a year.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    The christmas rush should be over in a week or so, don't ya think? or maybe not?

6. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    I had some eggs that were sent to me last week, from another part in WA, and it is about high 30s and low 40s here, but it was fine. Got here in 2 days, rested the eggs, set them in, and candled them yesterday even though its been only 4 days, and I already saw development in most of them. I did ask the breeder to write on the box to call me once it got to the PO so that I can go and pick it up myself first thing in the morning, so the eggs don't go bumping around on the postal route, or get left out at the gate in the cold. Since I picked it up early, I had more time to rest the eggs, and I could set them as soon as I could, after the required minimum of 8 hours.

Several weeks before, I also had 2 different batches of eggs sent to me, 1 from Florida, and 1 from California. They also came fine, and they are due to hatch any day now. I'm expecting some Christmas babies.

I think it can be done, but I wouldn't order them right now, due to the Christmas package rush. They will be prone to be chucked around for faster delivery. And if you can pick up the package from your PO first thing in the morn, that will help too, I think.

7. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    if i do buy eggs or sale them in the winter i always send them with a uniheat pad which holds a temp of 100 for them..does wonder's for live or eggs sent thru the cold

8. ms.cluckling

ms.cluckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I got some eggs from a local farmer/breeder a few days ago, and it was raining when I got them, and they weren't covered or anything. They were just sitting in an egg carton, and now, 3 days later, they're doing just fine!

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My hatch rates on eggs shipped in the winter are always MUCH lower than those shipped in the spring or summer.

10. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i shipped eggs from mid tenn to new york mon. ebay sale. i asked the buyer to let me know how many develope and how many hatch. its risky shipping eggs anytime of the year. very risky during the holidays. it depends on temps to and from where there sent. above freezing all the way good chance. below freezing during the trip. very risky. i will post again when i here from the buyer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by