Isn't she cute!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by angie3881, Oct 8, 2011.

1. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is Herky. She is my sweetest girl. She wants to be broody so bad! She is setting on two eggs this morning that are large chicken eggs. Little Herky is doing all she can to get those big eggs under her warmed up! She cackles and carries on if a bigger chicken boots her out of the nesting box. I just wanted to share my adorable girl trying so hard! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Awww, she's a doll.

Are the eggs she is setting on fertile? [​IMG]

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So cute! [​IMG]

4. angie3881

Quote:Most likely. I'm not going to let her keep them because the big girls will just kick her off and we just hatched 6 under another girl. I will wait till spring. She is just dying to be a mama!!! [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Most likely. I'm not going to let her keep them because the big girls will just kick her off and we just hatched 6 under another girl. I will wait till spring. She is just dying to be a mama!!! [​IMG]

Oh you big meanie [​IMG] [​IMG] (JK)

You could try slipping two chicks from your previous hatch under her tonight, if they are a day or two old.

Or get a small plastic dog kennel, move her and the nest into it and then she could hatch her two eggs.

<------------- a proud broody pusher [​IMG]

My bantams are some of the very bestest broodies and mommas there are.

6. angie3881

I know!!!! She thinks I am mean, too! LOL The babies are about 4-6 weeks and are on their own pretty much. I will give her a chance this spring. I have to get a banty rooster and then I will give her a few banty eggs and hopefully she will have some babies of her very own. Probably will kennel her during so my big bullies don't shove her off. I have got to let that girl hatch a clutch out! She tries so very hard and deserves a reward. [​IMG]

7. angie3881

None of my banty eggs were fertilized in the last hatch because we don't have a banty roo, yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by