ISO barnevelder breeder near NE TN

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kitchenchick, Sep 20, 2012.

1. kitchenchick

kitchenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upper East Tennessee
    I have barnevelders, but not real happy with the egg color I'm getting right now. They're more of a coffee with cream color, and I'm wanting to find a breeder with better egg color close enough to give hatching eggs a better chance of hatching or purchase chicks. I'm done for this year, but I'm wanting to make contact now so I can possibly be placed on their contact list for spring.

I've culled hard this year and am down to 2 well marked hens and 1 roo. The chicks they've produced are showing proper markings, but want to better the eggs color of future gens.

2. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    I assume you mean darker egg and /or more speckled.

I [​IMG]

breed barnevelders( 29 hens and 7 cockerels) and lighter eggs are a perennial problem with barnevelders, the breed has for many years only really been a show bird and the egg colour has been sacrificed.

We have managed to produce the eggs in the picture with selective breeding and importing new blood through the cockerels over the years. I would call them chesnut and they are well speckled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by