ISO: Casserole Recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mangled, Aug 17, 2010.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Being a busy working mom of two with a hungry husband, I'm finding it difficult to get a good meal on the table in a timely manner every night. We're starting to depend way too heavily on restaurant and drive thru food and the scale and the budget are reflecting it.

I'm looking for your casserole recipes. I try to make a vegetable lasagne a couple times a month. That goes over well, and lasts a couple days. Also, my pierogie casserole is a huge hit, but those are the only two things I know how to make, casserole wise.

What casserole recipes does your family love?

2. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    shepherd pie

I make the following in bulk and freeeze regularly... then I pull it out the night before planning on reheating

spagetti sauce
    shepherd pie
    I make chicken pot pie without the crust and just add the bisquick topping recipe on the box when we get home
    shredded pork and chicken pie
    left over turkey becomes sliced and packed in left over gravy and frozen for hot turkey sandwiches
    meatballs and put them in whatever sauce and put on rice or noodles

3. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    okay, I am going to give you my mil's recipe for chicken and rice (well, I'm sure it's not really "her" recipe, per se, but an adaptation, but anyway) It is pretty healthy and husbands and children gobble it up. I used to laugh with my mil because I told her every recipe but one she gave me had a can of cambell's soup in it! There is not a single person I have served this to that didn't love it. Seems pretty universal.

Here goes:

Get some boneless/skinless chicken thighs or you can pull the skin off the regular thighs (you MUST pull the skin off, I left the skin on once, boy what a mistake. I also tried to use another cut of chicken once, and it also didn't work.)
    Salt and pepper them GENEROUSLY and coat them with flour
    Put a little oil in a skillet and brown the thighs a little (you're not cooking them, just browning the flour a little)
    Mix 3 cups of instant rice (I use brown to make things a little healthier) with 2 cups of water and 1 can of Cambell's Cream of Chicken (reserve about 1/4 of the can to top the thighs), LOTS of minced dried onions, and dried parsley. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 2-3 TBSP on the minced dried onions, you almost can't put too many in there. They are the KEY to this whole thing.
    Make the rice mess flat, and put the browned thighs on top. Mix the little bit of reserved soup with a bit of water until it's the consistency of gravy and top the thighs with this.
    Put it in the oven, set it for 275 and go swimming/shopping/get a pedicure/paint your chicken coop for about 4 hours.
    Come home and serve to your hungry minions. If you used the thighs with the bones, at this point they will fall right out.

You now love me, and possibly my no longer with us MIL.
  4. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Here are some favorites:

~ Tamale Corn Pie
    Brown ground beef in a deep skillet or dutch oven along with diced celery, bell pepper & onion. Add 1 packet taco seasoning mix & 1 can tomatoes (Rotel for the extra heat), 1 can corn & about 2/3 cup water & simmer for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile mix up a batch of cornbread (either from scratch or use Jiffy mix). Scatter shredded cheddar over the top of the skillet mixture, pour the cornbread mix over it, & stick it in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cornbread is brown on top. Optional stir some sliced jalapenos into the cornbread.

~Green Chile Enchiladas serves 8 375 for 20-25 min.

1 1/2lbs. lean ground beef 3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
    3/4c fine chopped onion 1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 TB chili powder 1 1/2c sour cream
    s&p 1 small can green chiles
    8 to 12 flour tortillas

Brown ground beef with onion, drain fat. Stir in chili powder, s&p. Spoon meat mixture and some grated cheese on each tortilla. Roll up, put in greased baking dish. Combine soup, sour cream and green chiles, spoon over enchiladas.
    Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, top with more cheese, bake 10 minutes more.

~Chicken Stuffing Casserole

1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cooked, meat removed from bones, skin and bones discarded
    8 ounces dry bread stuffing mix
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
    1 1/4 cups chicken broth (from boiling the chicken)
    1 cup evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Layer the deboned chicken meat in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle stuffing mix over the chicken layer.
    In a large bowl mix together the soups, broth and evaporated milk. Stir well. Pour this mixture over the stuffing mix, making sure it gets to the bottom of the baking dish (poke around with a fork to let it saturate into the bottom layer). Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until it starts to bubble in the center.
  5. mangled

These look great, everyone. I may try the chicken stuffing casserole tonight. I've got all those ingredients here at the house. [​IMG]

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Summer Squash Casserole

Yellow (crookneck) squash and or zucchini (2.5 pounds)
    Milk (your choice of type, less then a cup)
    Cheese (Sharpe Cheddar recommended - one pound, grated or shredded)
    Crackers (I use store brand saltines - one tube)
    Onions or Onion flakes (One large or two medium or four table spoons)
    Seasoning (salt recommended)
    butter or margarine (to grease the casserole dish)
    Pot (cooking pot... large, 4 quarts or more)
    Pot cover ... (to cover the pot [​IMG] )
    casserole dish with cover (large 4 quarts or larger, 8'*8' or larger)
    knife (to cut veg)
    long wooden spoon (to stir cheese and crackers in)
    sieve/strainer/colander (to remove water)
    25 mins prep including stove use
    30min - 1 hour cooking time in oven

Bacon (everything is better with bacon)
    Put water in pot on stove - start water towards boil
    Slice Summer Squash (cubes or slices)
    Slice Bacon
    Cube Onions (or sprinkle onion flakes)

Place ingredients into hot water on stove

Boil covered for 20 minutes, uncover and stir every 5 min

Crush crackers and split into 1/4 for topping and 3/4 to mix in

Grease Casserole dish with butter/margarine

Open bag of OR grate cheese - alow to come to room temp.

Get milk ready

~After boiling Squash/Onions/Bacon~

Remove water but return Squash/Onions/Bacon to hot pot

pour in 3/4 crackers and cheese and stir vigorously

add milk (SLOWLY) if you can see the bottom of the pot

Scoop into greased casserole dish

Cook covered except last 10 min at 350,

at last 10 minutes remove cover ADD last 1/4 cracker topping ~and increase temp to 400 OR Broil (depends on how brown top you want)

-everything is already cooked so cooking time will very depending on your wants...
    taste like mac and cheese.
  7. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Another easy one is stuffed Pork Chops

2" thick Center Cut Pork Chop (from Costco if you have one in your area)
    1 package Stove Top Stuffing mix - for about 4 pork chops - increase accordingly
    One baking pan large enough to hold all the Pork Chops you are doing - spray with non-stick cooking spray - remember easy clean up is a must!

Butterfly Pork Chop (cut down the center of the side without going all the way through - now you have two 1" thick chops that is still one piece)
    Make Stove Top
    Lay pork chop open - stuff one side generously with Stove Top and fold other side of pork chop over - so now you have a pork chop sandwich.
    Place extra Stove Top around the edge of the baking pan
    Cover with foil - bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes
    Take foil off last few minutes to brown the top.

Serve with your favorite green vegetable or side salad.

8. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    White enchiladas

corn tortillas
    1 can cream of onion
    1 16 oz container of sour cream, regular or light
    half an onion, chopped, or what we do... a few tablespoons of onion flakes
    1 tsp ground coriander and cumin
    1 tsp cilantro
    leftover cooked chicken or pork, either chopped fine or shredded
    whatever shredded cheese you like
    green chilies if you want, I can't so we leave them out

mix cream of onion, sour cream, onion, spices/herbs together. Take about a heaping serving spoon full of the mix and combine it with the meat. Take another heaping spoonful of the cream mix and slather it on the bottom of you casserole dish. Heat up tortillas to make them pliable, put a few spoonfuls of the meat mixture in the center of a tortilla, roll up and place seam side down in casserole dish. Repeat until you can't fit anymore in the dish. Pour the cream mix over the tortillas, spread it around and top with cheese.
    Bake uncovered at 350 until cheese is melted and bubbly

Sometimes we also add leftover refried beans or whatever beans we have to the meat mix for a different flavor.
  9. mangled

OMGoodness, KDBeads, that sounds fantastic.

I made the chicken stuffing casserole tonight. The kids INHALED it, so a true hit. My husband is working until 11, so he's been instructed to help himself when he gets home.

These recipes are great guys! Thanks so much.

10. mangled

Sorry for another post, but is that fresh or dried Cilantro? We have trouble getting fresh around here, so I used the dried flakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by