1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ISO: Cochins for Meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WPFarmstead, Feb 22, 2017.

1. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho
    Anyone raising meaty cochins who would be willing to sell eggs or birds? I know it isn't as common, but it's one of the few breeds my husband actually likes and I'd prefer to start out with meaty birds than have to breed up my own from hatchery birds. And yes, I know they are inefficient and put tons of protein into feathers, but happy husband = more fun projects for me.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Just curious....... Why don't you just get a batch of straight run chicks from a hatchery. Delivered by US mail to your local post office LIVE. That is most likely the easiest route. If you want to save $ then opt for cockerels, since you will be just utilizing them for meat. Feed them well and they will grow meaty, Limit their exercise to stay in their run. Broilers are raise that way where they just eat and grow.

3. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho
    I'm not looking for a batch just for this year. I'm looking for breeding stock to make my birds meatier and so I can breed my own next year and beyond. So, while it would be easier and cheaper, I'm going what seems to be the hard route now in order to hopefully cut a few years off the curve in order to get them where I want, if that makes sense. More work now, so less time and money spent later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by