ISO Colorado Coop/Run design ideas

JN_CO2022

Chirping
Sep 26, 2022
SE Denver Colorado Suburbs
Per recommendation from @3KillerBs
Newbie questions, please be patient with me I am still researching and learning.

I am trying to determine the proper size coop and run I will need for my future flock.
Per HOA I can have up to 6 hens (standard size to be safe). Located in Colorado (Denver Metro Suburbs).
Being in suburbia with an HOA I have limited space (approx 12’L x 9’w with some wiggle room, pic attached) and setback requirements from the fence that I can put the coop and run. I cannot let them free range unsupervised so they will use the run most of the time.

I considered getting a shed but inventory, cost and delivery are a big factor. There is a handyman on FB ChickenCoops R Us that will build and deliver one for me within my limited budget since I do not have the time, skills, nor tools to build my own or vehicle necessary to haul or pick up such items. The builder has several different sizes but quoted me one that is coop and run which measures 9’Lx4’Wx6’H. Updated to add he just sent me another design that is coop only which measures 8’x4’x6’ which is far larger than the original but does not include a run. So that is something I will need to add. DH was not thrilled with any ideas, tonight he finally said our best option may be to put the coop on the gravel that is above the small retaining wall and add the run into the area we pulled up the pavers from. With that I need to consider a covered run that can handle a snow load.

Is this sufficent for a happy and healthy flock of 6? If no, then based on the space I have available, what dimensions should I have him build for both the coop and the run, or would it be best to go with a smaller flock?

Attachments

• 987CF4C6-2A92-4A0F-B327-8A2113AF4D31.jpeg
    987CF4C6-2A92-4A0F-B327-8A2113AF4D31.jpeg
    741.3 KB · Views: 45
  • FA182E72-1BBB-4513-81F0-2F13AAAED492.jpeg
    FA182E72-1BBB-4513-81F0-2F13AAAED492.jpeg
    805.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hello! I am in Boulder Colorado. I got my coop from ChickenCoops r Us and the guy delivered it to my house. His coops are really well-made and sturdy and I know a few other people who have gotten their coops from him as well. He does charge a delivery fee but nothing bad at all. We live an hour away from Denver and he charged us $80 for the delivery fee.

Hello! I am in Boulder Colorado. I got my coop from ChickenCoops r Us and the guy delivered it to my house. His coops are really well-made and sturdy and I know a few other people who have gotten their coops from him as well. He does charge a delivery fee but nothing bad at all. We live an hour away from Denver and he charged us $80 for the delivery fee.
I am looking into ordering from Samuel of ChickenCoops R Us. What size did you get, how many adult hens will it house?

6x4 is the coop size you’d want for a max of 6 chickens. 4sqft per bird in the coop works well.

i would enclose your entire 12x9 area in a hardware cloth run and put a raised 6x4 coop in there. that would give your birds plenty of run space since they’ll be locked up most of the time.

my setup is similar to what i described above. i have a 4x8 raised coop and 16x8 run. the coop is within the footprint of the run, so the entire setup takes up 16x8.

since it’s smack in the middle of a smaller yard,
id stay away from cattle panels and hoop coops. you’re gonna have to look at it a lot.

Attachments

• EDEF7941-E672-4BDB-AB4C-44DD7D984962.jpeg
    EDEF7941-E672-4BDB-AB4C-44DD7D984962.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 393DA685-2D0B-455C-AF20-181AED42A955.jpeg
    393DA685-2D0B-455C-AF20-181AED42A955.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
The builder has several different sizes but quoted me one that is coop and run which measures 9’Lx4’Wx6’H. Is this sufficent for a happy and healthy flock of 6?
this is too small as a coop/run combo.

the guideline numbers are 4sqft/bird in the coop and 10sqft/bird in the run.

those numbers can be a little fluid if the birds don’t ever get closed in the coop, or if they have access to free range time.

in any situation, more space is always better. if you have 12x9 available, i’d use every inch.

I agree that you'll want to use up as much of that 12x9 space as possible, if you want the max 6 birds. Always better to have an abundance of space than not enough.

Since there's an option for a coop without the run, maybe that's something to consider... if you don't want to build a coop yourself (like me!) you can order one or order a shed to be modified, and have the run built next to it or around it.

our best option may be to put the coop on the gravel

Chickens and gravel are a bad mix.

First, the poop gets down into the gravel and reeks when it gets wet because there's nothing for it to compost with.

Second, you'd have to keep it well covered with a deep bed of litter because it can be very hard on their feet and lead to developing bumblefoot.

Sometimes you don't have a choice because the gravel is already there in the otherwise most suitable place and removing gravel is simply ridiculously difficult unless you own heavy equipment.

I'm porting in what I said in your other post so it's all here in one thread for handy reference:

Welcome to BYC. It would be best to start your own thread in order to get well-targeted feedback specific to your own personal situation. There are lots of people here who will be willing to help you.

I'm a little brain-dead after a stressful day at work, but here are the guidelines for 6 hens:

6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
So you see that the coop and run combo suggested is too small, being more than big enough if it were all only coop, but too small to provide the 84 square feet combined that a flock of 6 needs.

But the good news is that your space available should be plenty of space.

Another consideration is your climate. If you tend to get severe winters with a good deal of snowfall you'll want to have a covered run so that the birds aren't literally cooped up -- confined indoors -- all winter. :)

Start a new thread and tag me (using the "@" symbol and my name), and I'll copy this into it to continue the discussion tomorrow when I'm rested. :)

In the meantime, here is my article on coop ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

And an article on cold weather chicken-keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

We ordered one that was already made, and It is 5'x4' and can house 5 hens.
I got the 5x4 with enclosed 8x4x6 run for 4 hens ( currently 11wks). Will be adding an additional covered run off the south side of the structure. Pretty solid build, heavy so I’m not worried about it blowing away during our wind storms.

Attachments

• BF8F17F0-7E0A-4F61-A779-8794DCC88AD6.jpeg
    BF8F17F0-7E0A-4F61-A779-8794DCC88AD6.jpeg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom