ISO COOP or written plans

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Brian1544, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Brian1544

Brian1544 New Egg

Feb 9, 2015
    I am just getting started with chickens (don;t even have a coop) Looking for a used one or I may just make one. But I need help with detailed plans. (5-6 hens)

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Try craigslist in your area.

I like the Purina coop design with a few changes. You don't need the translucent roofing, and only need two nesting boxes. The coop isn't large enough to warrant 3 nests. The nesting box should be lower- I'd move the door over and put the external nesting box at same level which will fit with two nests. They both should be at least 4 inches from floor to provide depth of bedding material.

http://www.mansfieldfeed.com/news-updates/build-your-own-chicken-coop-2014-02-3056

Click the design image at bottom of page and it will open full size.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    [​IMG]
    This is the image at bottom of page from that link. If you click it in link I pasted in last post it opens large and easy to read.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    At the top of the page right next to forums is "coops", they are divided by size and there are lots of great coops on there, most with building details. That should give you some ideas. Craigslist is usually a great place to find a used coop,shed, or materials for building or remodeling. Just one word to the wise, forget about chicken wire, it only keeps chickens in, not predators out. Hardware cloth is the way to go, usually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by