ISO Heritage chickens and quality guineas (and maybe ducks). Location-Delaware

Discussion in 'Other Poultry - Birds & Hatching Eggs' started by Fenika, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Fenika

Fenika Songster

Sep 25, 2010
    Hello,

It's been a long time since I've posted. I'm looking for some nice egg laying chickens (dual purpose okay) that have good bloodlines, along with some guinea fowl (any type). A small flock of ducks is likely in my future too.

The last time I got birds I got runty dual purpose chickens with males who had lost their dance, forcing me to cull all the roosters in the end. The guineas I got were a little better, but still not breeding quality, so that didn't work well for establishing a flock.

I have a farm again and would like to start raising birds, primarily for eggs (all species), and tick control (the guineas of course). I am fascinated with guinea fowl and would love to try imprinting them down the line as well.

I don't eat a lot of meat, but would probably want to have a dual purpose duck flock so I can cull the males for a non-traditional thanksgiving bird.

So I'm looking for a nice farm somewhere nearish Delaware so I can get some well bred birds. Any leads appreciated :)

2. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    Muscovy ducks are very tasty! And they taste like sirloin steak!
    Muscovy ducks are very passionate too! They act like dogs! Mine wags their tails and peeps when I feed them.
    Also Muscovy's are very quite! They his not quack!
    Here some pictures:
    00M0M_lbAwqVohMvQ_1200x900.jpg IMG_1491.JPG IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1655.JPG IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1688.JPG IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1818.JPG IMG_2003.JPG

3. Fenika

Fenika Songster

Sep 25, 2010
    Muscovy's sound very nice, and I know they are a popular duck breed :) Too bad you are so far away. Are Muscovy's good at foraging and watching out for predators? (I am digging a pond in one corner where there's a natural clay deposit, so want them out by day and in their own coop at night). (And thus needing a small duck flock as I don't want my pond to turn into an algae broth!)

4. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    My Muscovy's free range. They mostly eat the grass and bugs rather than their feed. Also when I got my first Muscovy's I only had females. A raccoon got in and injured one of them. So I got some males to have a good fertility. The males are very good protectors! I haven't had a raccoon attack ever since. Also Muscovy ducks eat a lot of bugs which provide pest control!
    I am currently hatching Muscovy eggs in 4 incubators filled and have 12 females laying on clutches of 10+ eggs all due to hatch this month.

Tillie0620 likes this.
  5. Fenika

Fenika Songster

Sep 25, 2010
    That sounds perfect. Free range bug eaters and protective males is just what I need. Plus, duck eggs, mmm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: