ISO jersey calf in Missouri

No such luck with craigslist. And I've stopped by a few local farms and they're either only selling bull calves, or their calves are registered which is way out of my budget

I find that I have to check craigslist daily when I am looking. And sometimes they can be gone within hours of posting. Good luck on your search. I think just getting out there like you are doing and letting folks know you are looking, they might pass your name along, and you might find something. Maybe put a want ad in the local paper or flyer?? Or put a want ad on the farm section of craigslist? Best of luck! :)

I've put an ISO ad on craigslist and I check craigslist every day, and only one of the farmers I have talked to has been friendly about it. Apparently jersey heifers are hard to come by!

Do you have any Amish farms in your area? If you do, I'd check with them. Many around us have small dairy operations and pull the calves from the mothers immediately. There are a lot of Holstein calves around us, both steers and heifers. Might be worth a road trip to a nearby community to check things out. I imagine that for a bottle heifer, even though it be a bottle baby, will bring a good price to the owner. Still if you are willing to dicker with them you might be able to find one at a reasonable price.

Either way, I would suggest taking a nice Saturday afternoon, jump in the car and scout out some of the local farms around you. If you see something you like stop and talk to the farmer. If he can't help you, he might know somebody who can.

My thought is there probably just aren't any available. I don't see why someone would pull a heifer calf off momma and sell it as a bottle baby. That's probably the most desired calf out there. I think you'd do much better looking for a weaned or older calf. Plus, bottle babies don't always turn out so well.

Back
Top Bottom