ISO jersey calf in Missouri

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by abbygibson1212, Feb 6, 2016.

1. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    Does anyone know where I could find a jersey bottle heifer in Missouri around the Monett/Mt.Vernon/Aurora area? (Other than an auction)

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Try putting up a sign in feed stores and large animal vet offices.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Also, call the mixed/ large animal vet clinics and ask about farms that have Jerseys. Also check with the breed association. Mary

4. abbygibson1212

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    How can I find the breed association?

5. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Many farms sell their calves on Craigslist. You might find something local.

6. abbygibson1212

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    No such luck with craigslist. And I've stopped by a few local farms and they're either only selling bull calves, or their calves are registered which is way out of my budget

7. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I find that I have to check craigslist daily when I am looking. And sometimes they can be gone within hours of posting. Good luck on your search. I think just getting out there like you are doing and letting folks know you are looking, they might pass your name along, and you might find something. Maybe put a want ad in the local paper or flyer?? Or put a want ad on the farm section of craigslist? Best of luck! :)

8. abbygibson1212

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    I've put an ISO ad on craigslist and I check craigslist every day, and only one of the farmers I have talked to has been friendly about it. Apparently jersey heifers are hard to come by!

9. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

Do you have any Amish farms in your area? If you do, I'd check with them. Many around us have small dairy operations and pull the calves from the mothers immediately. There are a lot of Holstein calves around us, both steers and heifers. Might be worth a road trip to a nearby community to check things out. I imagine that for a bottle heifer, even though it be a bottle baby, will bring a good price to the owner. Still if you are willing to dicker with them you might be able to find one at a reasonable price.

Either way, I would suggest taking a nice Saturday afternoon, jump in the car and scout out some of the local farms around you. If you see something you like stop and talk to the farmer. If he can't help you, he might know somebody who can.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My thought is there probably just aren't any available. I don't see why someone would pull a heifer calf off momma and sell it as a bottle baby. That's probably the most desired calf out there. I think you'd do much better looking for a weaned or older calf. Plus, bottle babies don't always turn out so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by