ISO Plymouth rock eggs Partridge, Silver Penciled, or BBS

Are you saying they're too small? I have a Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock from Meyer's Hatchery, & she's huge.
The Heritage ones look huge in the pictures but the others do not look nearly as big. The Partridge rocks I am looking for aren't even available until March from Meyer and April from McMurray since I'm not looking for 25 birds.

No matter where you obtain Silver Penciled they will be undersized. One of the issues with that variety, even from standard bred flocks, is it's not to standard size. You can obtain excellent type and pattern from certain breeders but you'll never get the size. This was part of my project- start a strain of standard size Silver. Ups and downs on that front.

The Blues issues are autosomal red and lacking in complete lace and other issues. There was hope for this variety about a decade ago it was being recreated but do to life issues the breeder was forced to let go of his stock. I had some of that stock and due to my separation and no place to hold them lost that start of strain. Shame really, they had such potential. This variety has gone the way of the Buff and will likely need recreation in the future.

The only problem with the Partridge is availability of quality stock. Though that is getting corrected as Norm Enis got out of the meat bird industry five years ago and obtained what was left of his strain. Has been working them back from poor maintenance since. Those large, wide, quality feathered and mahogany red pullets I obtained were third generation from his retaking control of his strain. Leg color and comb still needed work then though he did have birds good enough to show that year- 2018 was the first time he showed his birds for nearly two decades. It's been two more generations since then and I'll be contacting him to see if he'll welcome my road trip down to see his flock.

You can breed somewhat freely silver penciled to partridge and vise versa. What to keep in mind is there is a need to backcross to a dark Partridge to maintain the deep mahogany red. You'll start to lose it if care isn't taken after a cross. As for silvers from that cross you need to only use the bright "stay white" silver obtained and depending on stock of partridge there is a chance of introducing autosomal red. It's not a highly recommended cross due to what can be lost if you don't keep your guard up.

Those are hard varieties to obtain of any quality. The Partridge in particular is scarce as hens teeth.

It took me a decade to obtain two standard bred Partridge pullets and they needed work on leg color and comb. Before I could backcross the F1's to Dam this past spring lost her to a mink. I was hoping to pick up whatever I could for stock at the NE Congress this January but it is canceled. In a holding pattern as to what the breeding plan is. I'll be contacting a breeder in Maryland after holidays to see about picking up what I can for birds, whom I obtained the Partridge dam from. I only have F2 Partridge and Silver penciled pullets and the breeder cock is F1 split.

Basically if you can't find good stock near you drop me a private message closer to spring. With any luck I'll have obtained at the least a fine cock to put over my Partridge girls. Hope to get more, yet to talk with the fella. Worst case is I'll have eggs from the split cock over partridge. Will get you a few Partridge cockerels to use and of course only 50% of the pullets will be Partridge, 50% Silver Penciled. It's a start.

Good Luck

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-plymouth-rock-breeders-thread-part-deux.1296652/

Post #3 shows you the parent stock of what I have now.

Last edited:
Those are hard varieties to obtain of any quality. The Partridge in particular is scarce as hens teeth.

It took me a decade to obtain two standard bred Partridge pullets and they needed work on leg color and comb. Before I could backcross the F1's to Dam this past spring lost her to a mink. I was hoping to pick up whatever I could for stock at the NE Congress this January but it is canceled. In a holding pattern as to what the breeding plan is. I'll be contacting a breeder in Maryland after holidays to see about picking up what I can for birds, whom I obtained the Partridge dam from. I only have F2 Partridge and Silver penciled pullets and the breeder cock is F1 split.

Basically if you can't find good stock near you drop me a private message closer to spring. With any luck I'll have obtained at the least a fine cock to put over my Partridge girls. Hope to get more, yet to talk with the fella. Worst case is I'll have eggs from the split cock over partridge. Will get you a few Partridge cockerels to use and of course only 50% of the pullets will be Partridge, 50% Silver Penciled. It's a start.

Good Luck

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-plymouth-rock-breeders-thread-part-deux.1296652/

Post #3 shows you the parent stock of what I have now.
I will keep you in mind and you have very nice looking birds. Most of what I have seen from hatcheries are definitely lacking in size.

I noticed Meyer and McMurray both have them but limited availability and they seem a little light on their average size from what I know of the Plymouth Rocks.
Are you saying they're too small? I have a Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock from Meyer's Hatchery, & she's huge.

Back
Top Bottom