ISO someone in NE Ohio to sex baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kuchchicks, Feb 4, 2016.

1. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I know this is very difficult to do but also know that there are people out there who can do this. I am looking for someone who is able to either vent or wing sex new chicks. Willing to pay. Have chicks hatching 2/16. Must be in NE Ohio.

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    At the present in this country chick vent sexers earn about $60.000 per year. It is piece work and the going rate is about $5 per 100 or 5 cents per chick. In the past the pay was maybe double what it is now and often room and board with a free overseas two way plane ticket to Japan was part of the deal. You will have extreme difficulty hiring anyone now to vent sex a small number of peeps especially if it involves traveling. I see no reason however that should prevent you from feather sexing a small number of peeps yourself. You can probably learn how on You-tube but feather sexing is slow and may be more accurate on chicks a few days old. All chick sexing is a grinding, petty, boring, repetitive business. I think that it would drive me to strong drink in about 20 minutes if I could hold out that long. If my math is correct you would need to vent sex 1.2 million baby chicks just to earn $60,000 per year.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Feather sexing is only reliable (according to the data) on certain mixes. Why must you know at hatch?

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    if they are not breed to be specificly sexed by feathers this won't work. since your willing to pay anyway what you CAN do is have them D.N.A sexed by pulling a small festher and send it off to the DNA sexing lab. I've had this done myself about 8 times in the past as I have Silkie chickens and it's almost impossible to sex them as chicks.Just go online and search DNA sex testing for chicks. You will find several labs. choose one.it's suprise that it's affordable. you must pluck the feather . They test the cells on the quil. The samples are clearly marked as what chick it came. they give free collections kits . Then you mail off the kits. very simple. hope this helps.

2 people like this.
  5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Ok, people have said this listed unreliable but I have seen an old farmer do this with 100% correct on some older chicks I was giving him.
    I know he was correct because the birds were older and they could be feather sexed as chicks.
    Here's how to do it. I am writing of the needle and string method.
    http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/sexing_chicks.html
    Now this old farmer used a small metal nut on a string. He was very calm and held the chicks quietly and securely in his lap. It was fascinating to watch the nut start moving in a back-and- forth line or in a circle all by itself to show the chicks' sex.
    Best,
    Karen

6. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    My understanding is this only works for people who have been abducted by aliens.
    [​IMG]

7. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Excellent suggestion!
    Unless you are breeding for sexability (autosexing or sex linkage) you really cannot determine the sex reliably any other way.

8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    go ahead and laugh. I saw it work and it was very accurate. Don't diss it if you haven't tried it.
    Karen

9. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I'm just jealous. My superpower is making chocolate disappear, I wish it were being able to accurately sex chicks with a nut and piece of string.

10. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Hey, that's MY superpower!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by