ISO: Wild blackberry bushes (KY or anywhere)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Andora, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Does anyone have any wild blackberry bush patches with little runner shoots they might be able to send me? I will pay the shipping or I have some seeds to trade--giant sunflowers, rose of sharon bushes, and marigolds.

I'm also looking for raspberry bushes and blueberry bushes!

2. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    When you get some, I want some of those two!!!! GPN

eta: I rather have the large blackberries not the small wild!!

I won a berry seed pack from EBAY! Strawberries, blueberries raspberries and blackberries
    So I will try these and see what I can grow!!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Shoot!!!

If I was home I could send you more black canes than you know what to do with. That wild blackberry out here in the PNW is a royal pain in the rear. Grows over everything. Leave you car parked near a fence and next thing you know you can't find it because it's under a black berry bush. Don't trim the property for a year and you're 20x40 shed will be fully enveloped in black berries covering the whole dang thing. Worst thing is a single bird dropping will start a new plant! Then, if you butcher up the vines, you'll have a new one from every sliver on the ground! The cities out here have even hired goat crews to go in and eat up the bushes on the medians in highways and freeways it's so bad!

Of course.. maybe the wild black berries out here isn't what you want.

Hate it 11 months out of the year, they are only good for that lovely 100lb harvest of purple goodness in Sept.

Good luck!

4. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Silkie--my grandparents had a blackberry patch like that! That's why I thought someone might have...you know...a few extras just taking over their yard they didn't want.

The wild ones' berries are small and they have mean thorns, but the berries taste like childhood! I think the big domesticated berries taste different.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I have tons of them, been ripping them out to build pastures and waterfowl pens - the donkeys like to eat them, too.

Most of them I've been tearing out this week have been dead - the new shoots aren't up much yet. When they start to come up I'll be glad to send ya some. Or if ya find yourself over this way, come on by and grab all of them that you want [​IMG]

Last year ours got nice big berries - but they were awfully bitter - I think it was lack of rain. Year before they had really tiny berries - definately lack of rain on that year's batch.

They do look pretty in spring when they bloom, though, and the birds love them.

meri

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh yeah, they have mean thorns. It's so wet out here in the PNW though, that the berries do get the size of a quarter if they dig their roots into your foundation or into the side of the house. [​IMG] Not sure if anyone would buy black berries from a store out here... so no idea what those taste like. I won't be home till late march if all goes well, else June, so not sure if it would still be a good time to get them started where you are. It's cool and wet year round here.. so what's green other than the evergren trees in the winter? The black berry vines. They'll just keep on growing. But instead of 10 feet in a week, more like 10 inches.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Andora,
    I could probably send you some wild blackberries. As silkie chicken says they are a nusiance here in the NW. I also have 3 types of raspberries- Red and Gold Summits, and Prelude. I usually pull and toss dozens of of runners every spring.Right now I only have a couple people asking for starts. I bought these three varieties cause they can be forced to produce twice a year with careful pruning, and few thorns. None will be growing for a few months though- probably April. If you are interested PM me.

Imp- Yes imps sometimes garden too.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Oh How True, [​IMG]

There's a theory that underground Seattle was created by the blackberry vines.

They do show up in nurseries. Can't believe they sell. And they taste great. Plan on a transfusion after picking.

Imp

9. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    What part of KY are you from. We have them everywhere. I want to get some goats to keep them and the honeysuckly down but my fencing will only keep in horses right now. I haven't actually been out looking for them to see what they are doing right now but my daffodils are coming up!

10. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:We have a business where we take in rescue goats, sending them out to eat blackberry bushes for people. People here just wanna get rid of them... they get HUGE around here, I'v found bushes w/ some bigger then quarters, almost 50 cent size... they're good but nasty prickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by